Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ignition problems

Visiting Guest

03-08-04, 12:36 AM   #1  
my85bird
ignition problems

i have a '93 sable and i can't figure out what is wrong with the ignition. i put a new starter and ign. switch in. it has a good battery, fuses, and neutral switch. what can be the problem? i get 1 click at the starter solenoid and everything goes black. there is a "busy signal" (like from a phone) from a module behind the glove box, the interior lights go dim and some relays click on and off. sometimes the headlights come on when they're off. can you help??

Sponsored Links

03-08-04, 12:39 AM   #2  
Sounds like a dirty or bad battery terminal, or could be a loose or dirty ground connection.

03-08-04, 05:10 PM   #3  
sable ignition

Ford also had problems with the ignition switch on the late 80s and early 90s Taurus and Sable.

Can't remember if it was a TSB or recall, but the switch overheated, burned out and caused the same problem.

HTH

Matt

Visiting Guest

03-12-04, 05:34 AM   #4  
my85bird
thanks guys but the problem WAS in the battery!! my bad. anyway, tarus and sable have low batery indicator lights but they don't work when the battery has a dead cell. yes, that's right, A DEAD CELL. $120 later and i learned my lesson!! go with your gut and 9 times out of 10 its the best choice.

Search this Thread