88 chevy G20 van buzzer stays on

Old 03-04-04, 08:47 PM
DebbieAnn
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 88 chevy G20 van buzzer stays on

I own an '88 Chevy G20 van, 5.7 liter, automatic. The warning buzzer that comes on when the lights are left on, or the door isn't closed, stays on all the time. I have to disconnect my battery when I park to keep it charged. I have been told the buzzer is not on a fuse, but it is under the dash near the fuse box, and that it looks like the flasher. I looked for it but I got a kink in my neck trying to figure out what is what under there. lol
Anyone know how to find the buzzer? What does it look like? How in the world can I actually get to it? And how can I get that awful noise to stop...buzzzzzz ???
I appreciate any and all help I receive from this forum.

Old 03-05-04, 09:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Welcome to the Forums

It should be easy to find, you just have to follow the noise.

There is a reason why its on, disconnecting it may not solve the battery running down. Some times there are timer modules that will still consume power even though the buzzer is unplugged.

Does it make noise when the engine is running?

Old 03-05-04, 09:48 PM
DebbieAnn
Visiting Guest
Hi Larry,
Thanks for taking the time to help me. The buzzer stays on all the time, regardless if the engine is running or not.

Now, about that suggestion to 'follow' the noise ... lol ...
How can I do that? When I stick my head up under the steering column, (It barely fits) all I hear is that buzzzzz.... I'm having nightmares about buzzzzzzes . I cannot tell where the noise is coming from except that it is right there where the fuse panel is. I was also told the fuse panel (I'm not sure if I'm calling it the right name) will 'come down' or somehow be able to be lowered perhaps to work on it, I'm just not sure anymore about anything ...lol ,however any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Debbie :-)

Old 03-06-04, 12:55 AM
What you may have to to do is "feel" the noise with you fingers.

Hopefully some else will come by to explain how to get to the fuse panel.

Being it makes noise all the time you may have to take it to a Pro if removing the buzzer dosen't solve the problem.

Old 03-06-04, 04:11 PM
DebbieAnn
Visiting Guest
Hi Larry,
I was wrong!! The buzzer is NOT on when the engine is running. Sorry about that. Maybe this info can make a difference. I sure hope so. Thanks for your help. Debbie

Old 03-06-04, 04:57 PM
Unplugging the buzzer may do it for you.

Old 03-06-04, 11:01 PM
DebbieAnn
Visiting Guest
HI LARRY !!!!!
Well, I finally found the buzzer It was right in front of my face. It was very large, I had been looking for something small lol ... When I pulled it out, a wire connected to the fuse panel came loose. I didn't know where it came from, however, there is a spot on the panel labeled 'battery' and one of the wires was missing, the wires looked the same, so I plugged it in........ BIG mistake.... now I have what I believe to be a dead short. Absolutely no power at all ....... I'm too tired tonight to check it anymore.... I hope to be able to get it right tomorrow ... i hope.... thanks for your help, Debbie

Old 03-07-04, 01:48 AM
Well....... I'm glad you found the buzzer...persistence does pay off, good job!

As for the wire, GM's fuse panels offer open slots to add "stuff" on (they can be labeled "Batt", "Acc" etc). Sounds lke you plugged into one of those.

What color is the wire? Maybe one of our resident GM guys will pop in and help us out .

Old 03-07-04, 12:35 PM
DebbieAnn
Visiting Guest
Hello,
Two wires are not plugged in to the fuse panel. One has been unplugged for a long time, and I figure...if it ain't broke...don't fix it...lol
Both wires are red then connected to black. Both have in line fuses. One fuse is as thin as a strand of hair and the other is flattened metal with both ends wider than the middle. I checked them and they don't appear to be blown.
I really appreciate your help and I hope someone knows what I should do. I have been searching for an on-line schmatic of the wiring, but so far, no luck. I shall keep at it and I hope I will get lucky ... lol Debbie :-)

Old 03-07-04, 02:00 PM
What exactly is the problem, what works or dosen't work.

Those wires you describe sound like stuff that was added on. Most likely not your problem. Is it a conversion van?

I would venture to say you knocked loose a bigger plug from the fuse panel. Look at all the plugs and make sure they are in all the way. Look on the front and the back of the panel.

Old 03-08-04, 09:42 AM
DebbieAnn
Visiting Guest
HI again,
Yes Larry you are right, my van is a conversion. I have absolutely no power at all. It is as though I don't have a battery. When I plugged the wire into the fuse panel, everything went dead, there was no noise, no anything..... darn it anyway .... thank you for all your help, perhaps if I keep on trying I'll get it figured out ... lol...or maybe not....lol Debbie :-)

Old 03-08-04, 10:14 AM
Sounds like you may blown a fuse link .

Problem is they are located on the starter. Not that easy to get to, the starter is underneath the engine

Old 03-08-04, 05:14 PM
DebbieAnn
Visiting Guest
Thanks Larry,
I will check out the fuse link on the starter..... somehow ...lol
I appreciate your help .... I'll let you know what I find,
Debbie :-)

Old 03-09-04, 08:37 PM
DebbieAnn
Visiting Guest
Oh my Goodness Larry,
Guess what happened today?? I turned the key on and the 'check engine soon' light came on. I was very happy that I had power. I tired to crank it and I got a couple of clicks that's all. That would mean that there is NOT a blown fuse right??
I have a great battery charger that can plug into 120V and it gives a 100 amp charge/jolt. I tried to start it twice. It didn't do anything, didn't crank, no noise, nothing at all. Should I leave the charger on it, on the regular charge setting? Have any other ideas?? I'm very confused. ......... Debbie

Old 03-10-04, 12:35 AM
I'm gettin a little confused myself

I have absolutely no power at all. It is as though I don't have a battery. When I plugged the wire into the fuse panel, everything went dead, there was no noise, no anything..... darn it anyway ....
And then it started to come back to life?

I turned the key on and the 'check engine soon' light came on. I was very happy that I had power. I tired to crank it and I got a couple of clicks that's all. That would mean that there is NOT a blown fuse right??
Maybe that the battery is low..... If you had a volt meter you could check the voltage.

Or just charge the battery on a low setting overnight.

And the fuse links would appear to be good.

Old 03-10-04, 07:56 AM
DebbieAnn
Visiting Guest
Larry,
Thanks so much for sticking with me on this very odd problem.
..I shall do what you said, and I'll post my findings ....
........ Debbie lol

Old 03-10-04, 09:27 AM
DebbieAnn
Visiting Guest
Hi Larry !!
You won't believe it...... I fixed my van.....WOWOWOWOW hahaha
I checked the battery with my multimeter, battery checks good ..hmmmm
I disconnected the battery, pulled out, checked, and reinserted every fuse. Reconnected the battery and problem gone !! I am so happy. I think a fuse must have been loose. I pushed them in yesterday, to make sure each one was secure. so I dont know what happened.... the two wires (remember them) hahaha are still not connected to anything, however, everything important works just fine. {{{{Larry}}}} hugs to you. Debbie :-)

Old 03-10-04, 10:03 AM
Great job!

Hope the buzzer being removed solves you orginal problem

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: