RAV4 lugging

Old 03-09-04, 07:17 AM
overmyhead
Visiting Guest
RAV4 lugging

Hi there,
I have a 1998 rav4, automatic transmission with 192,000 miles on it. I took it in for an oil change a couple of weeks ago and had all of the fluids and belts checked and everything was good. It has been driving great until 3 days agao when it started lugging and today I noticed alot of water dripping from the tail pipe while it was idling. Could this be water in the gas tank or something? Any hints would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 03-09-04, 07:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "lugging", what speed, all the time, going straight, turning etc. Be as descritive as you can be. Does it feel like it dosen't want to turn, like its binding up?

By any chance is it all wheel drive? The Trans takes a special fluid Toyota Type "T"...........

Water out the exhaust is most likely normal condensation.

Old 03-09-04, 08:18 AM
overmyhead
Visiting Guest
toyota RAV4 lugging

Hi Toyotaman,
Thanks.. sorry I wasn't more descriptive. What I mean by lugging is that during driving, it feels as though there are slight pauses in engine power. It's this small tugging feeling. It happens when I am driving straight and at most speeds.. I haven't really noticed it at 60MPH, but maybe that just because it's not as noticeable then. The thing which worries me is that I NEVER felt it before 3 days ago. It's not the same as the feeling when you feel the transmission shift gears. I thought maybe I wasn't letting the car warm up enough ( it's been freezing on some days here), but even when I let it warm up before I drive it is happening.
I feel it through the accelerator....don't know what else to add.
Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-09-04, 09:11 AM
Easy things first, Check the oil level...maybe its overfull.
Next have the computer scaned for codes at an Autozone or some place similar, report back with the findings

Also whats the maintenance history?

Old 03-09-04, 09:24 AM
overmyhead
Visiting Guest
RAV4 lugging

Thanks for suggestions. I bought it used about 6 months ago from a lady who was FANATICAL about service. It has all records, paperwork regarding all servicing from the dealer from the day it was "born". It was her long distance comuter car, mostly highway miles.
The oil change guy who checked all fluids and belt seemed extremely knowledgeable and respectable, so can't imagine that it is over-filled, but will check this evening after work.

I will take it in on friday when I have time, but any other suggestions still welcome.

Old 03-09-04, 09:31 AM
Do you notice any slight deviations in the speedo needle? I mean very very slight, it should be rock steady as your driving.

Is it all wheel drive?

Old 03-09-04, 10:12 AM
overmyhead
Visiting Guest
Rav4 lugging

Okay... just took her for a spin and checked the speedometer and oil level.

Speedometer is rock solid.

The manual says it is full time four wheel drive. Is that the same as all wheel drive? I'm used to manual transmissions...so am not used to these terms.

Oil level was just above full. The oil change was almost a month ago. Now I'm worried that I have done alot of damage due to overfull oil? other than removing some oil, is there anything else I should change, look for, worry about?

Thanks again,
Evon

Old 03-09-04, 10:17 AM
In inches how much above full?

Old 03-09-04, 10:25 AM
overmyhead
Visiting Guest
Maybe 1/16th inch or slightly less.

Old 03-09-04, 11:55 AM
That much is not a problem. And it is all wheel drive.

Old 03-10-04, 01:17 PM
overmyhead
Visiting Guest
rav4 lugging and now windows?

Well.... I made an appointment to take it in today and... no more lugging. It just stopped and is driving fine. Maybe it was bad gas?

In other news however, all of my electric windows stopped working except the driver's. I assume it can't be a fuse if that one is still working. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your suggestions and patience.

Old 03-10-04, 01:37 PM
Sounds like the window lock button in pushed down.

Last edited by toyotaman11769; 03-10-04 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-12-04, 02:16 AM
phantom
Visiting Guest
i just joined the forum today and could not help reading you rav4,s problem i am from australia and our cars are much different to yours anyway i think you have a problem with one of the high tension leads please check if the problem re occurs

Old 03-12-04, 02:19 AM
phantom
Visiting Guest
with the electric windows try pressing the remote twice and see if that opens all the other doors

Old 03-12-04, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by phantom
i just joined the forum today and could not help reading you rav4,s problem i am from australia and our cars are much different to yours anyway i think you have a problem with one of the high tension leads please check if the problem re occurs

with the electric windows try pressing the remote twice and see if that opens all the other doors
What on earth are you talking about?

You need to look at a schematic to see how it is wired but as a rule the other windows generally get their power supply and/or grounds from the master switch. If the lock button is not on, it may be the problem anyway.

Old 03-12-04, 02:47 PM
phantom
Visiting Guest
in australia all toyota,s with with central locking have an option which can be reprogrammed via the owners manual to unlock all doors with one press of the remote or only the drivers door.
pressing once unlocks drivers door and twice unlocks all other doors

Old 03-12-04, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by phantom
in australia all toyota,s with with central locking have an option which can be reprogrammed via the owners manual to unlock all doors with one press of the remote or only the drivers door.
pressing once unlocks drivers door and twice unlocks all other doors
That may be true but the question was about power windows, not door locks. The keyless entry works that way here too.

Old 03-12-04, 05:17 PM
phantom
Visiting Guest
sorry i misread
i feel like an idiot now

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: