Paint/Rust repair job

Old 03-10-04, 08:49 AM
sunjayraj
Visiting Guest
Paint/Rust repair job

Dimension of scratch/rust: 2mm X 10 mm (2 locations)

I have been reading a few sites which claim to sell paint/accessories for such a job. But they are not very clear in case rust has developed on the scratch.

What are my options?

1. Use rust converter to conver rust to primer. Then sand off this primer/rust and now apply primer, base coat and so on.
OR
2. Use rust converter to conver rust to primer. And now apply base coat, mid coat and clear coat.

I am in NE and it cold, Will i have to wait for a warm day ~65 degrees to do the above job?

Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-04, 02:05 PM
I would sand off the rust then use your rust converter,prime apply your other paint layers.Wait until 70 degrees it would be better.Good luck.

Old 03-10-04, 04:00 PM
sunjayraj
Visiting Guest
Davo,
Thanks!

One more question! Where is it best to buy paint from?

Dealer or online sites like PaintScratch.com, AutomotiveTouchup.com etc.

Old 03-10-04, 07:28 PM
You get what you pay for. IF you think you are getting a good deal because it is cheap then you most likely arent. Plus you probably wont be able to match the color exactly. If it is a newer vehicle then go to either a PPG, or Sherwin- Williams supplier and see what they can do for you. Call the dealer and give them your VIN and get your paint code, unless you already have it.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 03-11-04, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
I can vouch for paintscratch.com. I had some deteriorated paint on the trunk lid of my wife's '95 Camry a couple of years ago and repainted the lid using their products (in spray cans yet!). You have to look pretty close to tell it was done (and I'm the TOW Guy, not the PAINT Guy). Color match was perfect and this is a red w/clear coat in Florida.