Electronic Rust inhibitors- Are they any good?

Old 03-10-04, 09:32 AM
sunjayraj
Visiting Guest
Question Electronic Rust inhibitors- Are they any good?

Here is one:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Has anyone used them? Are they effective?
Sorry but there is a no ads policy if you have specific questions pertaining to the subject please do so.Davo

Last edited by davo; 03-10-04 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-10-04, 02:25 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
They are use by the marine industry for rust prevention on ships. They actually work.

Old 03-10-04, 03:57 PM
sunjayraj
Visiting Guest
P.A.T.
Thanks for your response. Do the actually work on cars?
So far i have found only one post on a peugot newsgroup claiming that it works. I was wondering if anyone has firsthand experience with something like this.
The issue with at thing like this is that it may take months if not years to figure out if they are actually effective.

Thanks.

Old 03-11-04, 10:35 AM
P
To be effective the metal has to be immerge in water, like a ship, It can be effective on a car when it rains I would guess. If your not sure about this device why not use the time proven rustproofing oils. Mine is rusproofed by " Krown" every year and is not showing any rust yet. It cost around $ 100 a year. I guess the electronic device can be transfer easily on another vehicule when times come you want to depart of your old car and that could mean a lot of savings in the long run.

Old 03-12-04, 05:41 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that this won't work on cars. I've studied corrosion, electrochemical reactions, and corrosion protection. Living in Michigan and working on rusty cars when I was a kid got me so disgusted with corrosion that I actually devoted part of my education in metallurgy to finding the best way to keep cars from rusting away.

The only way to anodically (or electrically) protect sheet metal is by maintaining an electrical potential with the sheet metal in contact with sacrificial metal. How do you plan on maintaining this potential without draining the battery when the car is sitting unused? The potential would be continuously drained from the surface until the battery runs dead, then you have no protection. The reason it works in marine application is that the potential is generated and maintained by the electrical generators on board and used in conjunction with sacrificial magnesium anodes bolted onto the ships hull.

Plus, despite whatever conspiracy theories you may subscribe to about automakers and their planned obsolescence, the fact remains that auto manufacturers spend untold amounts of money to plate and protect the expensive components on a vehicle and try to keep them from corroding away. I know, I'm sometimes involved in material selection and design. Do you honestly think automakers would go through such extreme measures if all they had to do was install a $200 device on the vehicle that would be the panacea for all corrosion problems? These products begin to smell a lot like snake oil.

Old 03-12-04, 06:08 PM
P
Yes, right on;

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: