'01 Malibu fuel filter

Old 03-10-04, 10:30 AM
'01 Malibu fuel filter

Anyone had any experience changing the fuel filter on an '01 Chevy Malibu? I got the rubber hose off the one side, but the metal screw-in fitting on the other side seems impossible. Any tips? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-04, 02:25 PM
They can be plenty tight some penetrating oil may help but a good 16mm line wrench and a 20mm wrench should do it.Sometimes if you tap the filter nut with a punch and hammer it may loosen it a little.

Old 03-10-04, 06:20 PM
Sweet! That was exactly the kind of answer I had hoped for. Now, a related question. Which way do you turn the wrenches? Does the fuel filter get spun toward the rear of the vehicle, or does the line fitting get spun toward the rear of the vehicle?

Old 03-10-04, 07:21 PM
That depends on which side it is on. Remember righty- tighty, lefty- loosey and you cant go wrong here.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 03-10-04, 07:35 PM
Well...it's toward the rear of the car, and is turned to run parallel with the rear bumper. The fitting in question is on the side of the filter closest to the driver's side of the car, if that gives you any better of a picture.

Old 03-10-04, 07:37 PM
The nut on the line will turn towards the rear of the car. Put the big wrench on the filter and the little wrench on the nut and pull towards the rear and you will be good to go.
Billy

Old 03-12-04, 12:53 PM
Ok, sorry, one more question. I just realized I'm stupid, and don't know what a "line wrench" is. Is it actually called a line wrench, or could it have another name?

Old 03-12-04, 04:49 PM
Actually I think they are called flare nut wrenches I apoligize for my use of a slang term.But around here everyone says line wrench.