89 ford tempo power steering leak

Old 03-10-04, 01:49 PM
Question 89 ford tempo power steering leak

I have a power steering leak on the pressure line above the rack and pinion and it leaks pretty bad as soon as I fill the system and start the car. And of course no more power assist. I dont use the car now because I am afraid I could damage the pump this way. The garage I went to said that they want to replace the rack and pinion with a new one(its still good in my opinion). replace the return and pressure lines with brand new ones. Its a $ 900 job they say. Am I been taken for a ride? I bought the shop manual for this car and they mention that it has an intermediate connection fitting on top of the transmission and you can unscrew the bad line from there.There is an other fitting that connects to the rack side also. The shop manual is vague on how to repair this. Can someone help?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-04, 02:01 PM
Can you see the leak to tell if it is the line, fitting or rack? Your price on a new line will be better than the shop and you should be able to change it with not too much trouble. If needed, the rack will come out fairly easy with tall jack stands. Only special tools needed are an alignment when done.

Old 03-10-04, 02:16 PM
blaze, It looks like its a fitting on the pressure line where it connects to the rack. I dont feel like removing the rack and pinion because there must be an easy way to change this line without doing all that work. Remember its a 15 year old car and I dont want to spend to much.

Old 03-13-04, 02:40 PM
I have a 90 Ford Crown Victoria and had a leak in the power steering high pressure line. Went to a well known parts store and got a new hose, complete with fittings, for $ 20 (they even had it in stock). Installation was not too difficult, although patience was needed.

Old 03-13-04, 04:59 PM
This tempo pressure line cost $ 112 CND. I dont know if its made out of gold but I find it expensive. There must be a more cost effective way to fix this. I am still in the dark.

Old 03-14-04, 01:33 PM
$112 doesn't sound out of line for a press. hose, as long as it's a direct fit replacement. As for cost effective - blown is blown. It is possible to replace without removing the rack - if the car is 6 feet in the air, exhaust removed for access, and you possess at the very least an open-end crows foot wrench. Where they connect at the rack, the press. and return lines are literally a fraction of an inch apart: no access. In my experience on those vehicles, if the press. hose is blown, the rack has been leaking for a long time beyond. A quick and simple way to find out is to take a small straight pick and poke a hole in the bottom of both bellows boots (rubber boots at each end of the rack), as close to the rack as possible. If fluid flows out, you have your answer. If it isn't leaking, the two tiny holes in the boots won't cause any harm. Either way, I would recommend the job to a pro if you plan to keep the car. Neither the line nor the rack are 'easy' replacements under the best of circumstances.

Old 03-14-04, 03:04 PM
There is no "automatic" reason to change the rack unless he saw something that your not telling us about. Change the hose and wash all the oil off to start with. You'll see in the coming days if the rack is bad too.

Old 03-14-04, 06:37 PM
For information only: If you check partsamerica.com, you will find power steering high pressure hoses for a Ford Tempo listed for $21 to $34. Most economical way is to order parts over their website then pick them up at a local store (one hour after placing order).

Old 03-14-04, 06:38 PM
Thank you both for your quick replies. My mechanic friend looked at it today and he sees no leak in either lines except for that pressure switch that is bolted in the middle of the rack( the one with the small electical connector plugged into it). He said that it is cracked or something. Do you know if this part is available in auto supply stores or do I have to buy the entire rack assembly?

Old 03-14-04, 11:27 PM
phantom
Visiting Guest
those switches are available
and with high pressure hoses they can be replaced by enzed
or any hydraulic hose shop they will of course use your old fittings
approx $20.00 au

Old 03-15-04, 03:39 AM
That switch should be an A/C clutch cutout switch. The best place to get it would be the dealer if you don't want any problems. They aren't very expensive. I believe the use an "O" ring to seal.