98 Jeep Cherokee starting problem

Old 03-11-04, 12:25 PM
Oceanswave
Visiting Guest
Question 98 Jeep Cherokee starting problem

I need some advice

I was driving down the road 40 MPH and my car just died so I pulled into the nearest parking lot raised the hood. The battery look all corroded and I knew it was about time to replace since this was the original battery that was it it when we bought it 4 years ago. So I go and buy a new battery. Now I have a good charge and it tries to start but will not kick over.

Is this an alternator, starter, a silly noid (sp), Fuel pump and how can one check without buying a new part only to find out that it was not the problem?

It kind of acts like its not getting gas

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-04, 12:37 PM
Re: 98 Jeep Cherokee starting problem

Originally posted by Oceanswave
I need some advice
Is this an alternator, starter, a silly noid (sp), Fuel pump and how can one check without buying a new part only to find out that it was not the problem?
In this case you might be better off paying someone for a diagnosis. It takes some basic mechanical knowledge to be able to diagnose a problem like that. I don't think it's a silly noid this time.

Old 03-11-04, 02:04 PM
Test for fuel pressure and spark and let us know which you don't have.

Old 03-13-04, 10:32 PM
Auto Doc
Visiting Guest
If this vehicle has a factory security system, that would be the first place to look. I see this problem quite a bit with battery replacement on Chrysler vehicles. Usually after battery replacement the security system arms, and the ASD relay does not energize, therefore the fuel pump does not pump fuel. To deactivate the security system, lock the driver's door with the key, then unlock it with the key. This should reset the security system. If this vehicle doesn't have a factory security system, your problem lies elsewhere... as mentioned in davo's post, check fuel pressure and spark.

Old 03-13-04, 10:58 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Auto Doc
If this vehicle has a factory security system, that would be the first place to look. I see this problem quite a bit with battery replacement on Chrysler vehicles. Usually after battery replacement the security system arms, and the ASD relay does not energize, therefore the fuel pump does not pump fuel. To deactivate the security system, lock the driver's door with the key, then unlock it with the key. This should reset the security system. If this vehicle doesn't have a factory security system, your problem lies elsewhere... as mentioned in davo's post, check fuel pressure and spark.

when the factory VTA(vehicle theft alarm) is activated, it starts and runs normal for two seconds, then the pcm kills the injectors. fuel pump, spark and everything else works normal.

theory being: everything else can be jumpered or bypassed(substituted), injector control can't be

Last edited by mike from nj; 03-13-04 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-27-04, 11:40 AM
Oceanswave
Visiting Guest
Angry embarrassing

Well...this is a total embarrassment but the whole problem was gas. The Gas guage said 1/2 tank....but the guage was broke and didnt give an accurate reading.

Go figure....Filled it up (guage still never moved) but it turned right over.