Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Daewoo Leganza Timing belt

Visiting Guest

03-11-04, 10:57 PM   #1  
tommy1polo1
Daewoo Leganza Timing belt

I have a 99 Daewoo Leganza and I have 110.000 highway miles on it. I am needing to change the timing belt and am not sure just how to go about it. I have changed one on a Honda civicc before. I am wanting to know what the easiest and surest way to get it right. I can not find a Chiltins or any other Manual on this car.

Sponsored Links

03-12-04, 12:25 AM   #2  
Try your local library for info. Some of them have subscriptions to All-Data, Chiltons etc.

Maybe worth your while to invest in a All-data subscrition for one car, I believe it's $25 a year.

Visiting Guest

03-13-04, 10:09 PM   #3  
Auto Doc
This is one timing belt job that you will NOT enjoy... I suggest getting a repair manual for your car, it should contain info on timing belt replacement. Keep in mind this is an interference engine, so the valves will be damaged if the timing belt breaks. One other thing... finding parts for these cars is almost impossible... you can find a timing belt, but if the belt breaks and you have to do a valve job, you *might* be able to order the parts from Korea, but it's doubtful. We have scrapped three of these cars for this exact reason.

Visiting Guest

03-18-04, 11:28 PM   #4  
tommy1polo1
Thanks for the reply...
I did take on the job, blind, no manual to be found.. no one makes one except the professional version for dealers, it is about 200 bucks... So I just jumped into it. Was not as bad as I had imagined. The only thing that was a bugger is they put allen bolts on the crank pulley. These things were impossible to get off and I broke allen heads and almost stripped two of the bolts attempting to remove them. SO I went and bought a five ton pulley puller and just took the whole thing off. This was a pain to get back on with the little half circle locking pin for the pulley while trying to get the belt on and not pinching or bending the belt. Got them all lined up. Had to take the two guides off and put those on last to get the belt on without bending or forcing it. I checked all the marks I had made with witeout on all three gears, and even marked the belt with the white out to make sure I had the exact 142 notches between the crank and the intake valve sprocket. But all was done, and went back together in half an hour. Was nice to get the serpintine belt replaced as well. That one was original too. Both belts were in good condition. Car is running fine now, and hopefully will last another 110,000 miles. If anyone else has this horible chore to attempt. I found, like everyone does, things to do to make it faster, after doing it once.

Search this Thread