Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Interior and headlights pulsing.

Visiting Guest

03-13-04, 07:57 AM   #1  
a1tech
Interior and headlights pulsing.

I have a 90 model BMW 325i convertible. For about eight months the headlights and the interior lights have been pulsing. They dim and brighten while driving or just idling.
About a month ago the "Check Engine" light came on and the car started running rough like it was missing. I don't know if these two things are related or not but there has been no drain on the battery. Could this be the voltage regulator in the altenator? Or would the altenaror itself be the most likely culprit. I'd love to change the regulator and brushes but I don't think I can get the brushes.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-13-04, 09:39 AM   #2  
mike from nj
if the alternator is still charging after 8 months, i would say it's ok for now. have you ever checked the output voltage? have you ever 'load tested' it to see if it's on it's last leg?

i would say you might want to get the check engine light diagnosed too, after a month of being on, i'm sure that what ever is causing it to come on is a definite failure of something monitored.

Search this Thread