1999 Dakota Front wheel bearing hub assembly

Old 03-16-04, 05:19 AM
1999 Dakota Front wheel bearing hub assembly

I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota 4-wheel drive manual transmission with a 3.9 v-6 engine. The front wheel bearings are bad.
Is it possible to rebuild the front wheel bearing hub assembly? i.e. pressing out the bearing with the spline and replacing the bearing using the old spline and hub?

Thanks, Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-04, 05:00 PM
Why on earth would you want to? The aftermarket hub assemblys are usually quite inexpensive and very easy to change. The bearing is half the cost and the pressing costs/time will more than cover the other half.

Old 03-16-04, 05:31 PM
I guess it's just my nature to try and repair, rather than replace the complete unit. Besides this unit is upwards of $200 in my area for the inexpensive aftermarket product.

Old 03-16-04, 06:46 PM
I don't know. I've always been able to buy them generally under $100 and sell them for $150-$175. Try shopping around a little.

Old 03-16-04, 08:33 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
if you could get a number off the bearing, or if you could even read the number still, you might be able to match one up from a bearing supplier. it's a lot of work though. as cheap as i am, i still bought a new one when mine went bad.

keep in mind, if you have 4 wheel abs, the sensor is in that bearing, and comes as an assembly(sensor and bearing), from the dealer anyway. i haven't been able to get a sensor out yet without breaking it. (rust)

please let me know if you find a bearing for this application.

Old 03-29-04, 05:25 AM
'99 dodge dakota front wheel bearing

I am unhappy to report that this bearing is not rebuidable. The bearing race is actually part of the casting, therein lies the problem as the race is the weak link, rather soft with a very thin layer of chrome.