Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99 Mazda Protege EGR Valve Repair

Visiting Guest

03-16-04, 12:06 PM   #1  
Btindle
99 Mazda Protege EGR Valve Repair

Recently on a day trip my check engine light came on as a result of the EGR valve being stuck open on my 99 Mazda protege (according to the guy at autozone). The replacement for this part is in the $200 - $250 range, and I'd really rather not spend that much. Could I just clean the valve and return it to working order? If so, are there any good references as to how to accomplish this feat, and in the mean time, is it going to damage my car to drive around for errands etc ?

Thanks,

Brandon

Sponsored Links

03-16-04, 02:55 PM   #2  
First and foremost. DON'T LET AUTOZONE DIAGNOSE ANYTHING! They are mostly part time cashiers and know nothing about diagnosis. Post the actual code here and some of the pro's will advise you of the possibilities.

Visiting Guest

03-16-04, 03:12 PM   #3  
Btindle
Agreed

Thanks for the reply, I actually unplugged the battery to reset the computer, and the check engine light has not come back since.

03-16-04, 04:46 PM   #4  
It will. All you did is erase it's memory. It may take a little while for all the parameters to be met again, but it will likely reset. EGR valve systems can have many different problems, not all with the valve itself. It is possible for the valve to carbon up, not allowing the pintle to seat properly and yes, you can remove it and clean the carbon away with some carb cleaner and a little screwdriver to scrape it away. That may not be your problem though. There are many ingrediants to make an EGR system work properly.

Search this Thread