Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

new battery....still no start

Visiting Guest

03-17-04, 10:24 AM   #1  
teacup35
new battery....still no start

Hi,

I had a 97 Nissan Sentra that has sat under the carport for last 8weeks (some very cold NC days). Tried to start, was told battery had a dead cell. Replaced it but still no start. Car has been running fine up until it sat for last 8 weeks. Any ideas?

Thx,
Carla

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

03-17-04, 11:24 AM   #2  
Days get cold in NC? Try Mass!

Check the starter? Are you getting anything at all when you try to turn it over? Clicks? Does it even try? Anything? More info, please.

Chris

Visiting Guest

03-18-04, 01:40 PM   #3  
teacup35
Lol.....Mass definitely has the upper hand over NC when it comes to cold

It is trying to turn over. It just won't "hit", "grab" whatever the term might be. Similar to when a car is flooded, but it's not. Someone suggested alternator, guess I'll find out Friday, I had it towed to Goodyear last night. I'll let you know of the outcome.

Thx for your reply,

Carla

03-18-04, 02:21 PM   #4  
It's a little late now but generally speaking Goodyear,Firestone,BP Procare and Pep Boys all charge more than the dealer for parts and labor.Don't be suprised if you need belts.hoses,shocks,struts, tires and an alignment when they call to tell you what you need to get it running.I'll be waiting to see the outcome.Please let us know.

03-18-04, 02:30 PM   #5  
Yeah, let us know. I was thinking distibutor or alternator myself.

Davo! I grew up in the 'Burgh. How's life in the Steel City?

Chris

03-18-04, 02:42 PM   #6  
Originally posted by WorldBuilder
Yeah, let us know. I was thinking distibutor or alternator myself.

Davo! I grew up in the 'Burgh. How's life in the Steel City?

Chris
It's still the burgh the only thing that changes is which way you can go on certain streets during construction.lol

03-18-04, 03:04 PM   #7  
LOL. Yeah, I was there during the summer of 2002 (it had been over 5 years since my last visit before that) and things are completely different. The new highway system going through the city now is unreal!

The only thing that hadn't changed was that people still drive like maniacs on 28.

ttyl,

Chris

03-18-04, 03:22 PM   #8  
Originally posted by teacup35

It is trying to turn over. It just won't "hit", "grab" whatever the term might be. Similar to when a car is flooded, but it's not. Someone suggested alternator, guess I'll find out Friday, I had it towed to Goodyear last night. I'll let you know of the outcome.

Thx for your reply,

Carla
If it is similare to when a car is flooded, then it sounds like it is turning over, just wont start. When you turn the key, does it go whir whir whir whir whir? If it does, it is likely NOT the battery, starter, or alternator, because it IS cranking over, just not firing up.

If you don't get that whir whir whir, don't mess around with the alternator, you got a bad battery most likely, or your cables are bad. Bad alternator or not, if you just swapped in a new battery, and it's not turning over, then you still have a battery or cable problem.

Let us know what it is doing.

03-18-04, 05:03 PM   #9  
Play nice, kids...

Visiting Guest

03-19-04, 12:25 AM   #10  
mike from nj
did i miss something here?

desi, he's never stopped you, you seem to bash autozone on a regular basis, and now midas and pepboys too. i bet there's at least one ASE certified technician in the world working at one of these stores, yet you have belittled them as part-time parts installers/counterpeople. YOUR blanket statement is wrong.

also 2 examples: in the last week, here, someone bought aftermarket parts, a jeep fuel pump, and a dakota front wheel bearing. both parts prices stated were the same as list price at the dealer, and the dealer fuel pump would have come with the module o-ring(which he never got).

what about the person who was quoted for a $510 caravan fuel tank sender unit? six months ago, someone paid $500 for plugs, wires and a coilpack on a stratus(and these weren't dealer quotes)

have you seen what happened to sears this week, and a few years ago?

so there is truth to davo's statements

Visiting Guest

03-22-04, 07:59 AM   #11  
teacup35
Hi All,

Here's the verdict. Fortunately, I have found my local Goodyear dealership is honest and fair with me which is great considering I'm a female who knows NOTHING about cars. So forgive me if I translate the fix incorrectly. They toyed around for half a day trying to figure out the problem. Finally someone poured oil directly into the cylinder(?), let it soak in for about an hour and it fired right up. They think because it sat so long in the cold weather, the oil gunked up and just wasn't pushing itself up thru the pistons. They kept it for "overnight observation" and it cranked right up Saturday morning, although it smoked for a few minutes. Again, if I translated that incorrectly forgive me It's running just fine now. Total cost $100......my question is, the car had a recent oil change before I parked it in January, so the oil that sat in there was fairly new. Would it still gunk up like that?

Thx,
Carla

03-22-04, 02:49 PM   #12  
The cylinders were washed clean and in turn lost compression. Adding the oil gave it enough compression to fire up. Kudo's to GoodYear.

Search this Thread