2001 grand am se instrument cluster

Old 03-17-04, 01:20 PM
cfarris37129
Visiting Guest
2001 grand am se instrument cluster

I have finally figured out that I am going to have to change out the instrument cluster on my car. How hard will this be and could someone tell me how to go about this? I have not had any gauges for 3 days now and I found one for a 2001 grand am se in a local junk yard. I just hope the mileage on it is not higher than mine. I only have 45000 miles on this car. Anybody out there that can help me?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-04, 02:19 PM
Remove the cover from the steering column,remove the 2 lower ipc trim panel screws,remove the upper trim screws,remove the trim panel.Remove the screws holding the ipc,remove the ipc and unplug the wiring reverse to install.I don't think what you are about to do is legal without certifying the mileage.Around here you can't buy a used one(doityourselfer)on a car that new and that low of mileage.It's considered tampering.Good Luck.

Old 03-17-04, 02:45 PM
cfarris37129
Visiting Guest
Smile

Legal or not legal the point is the instrument cluster has to be replaced. I can not drive around forever with no speedometer. Thank goodness I have another car to drive until this one is fixed. Thank you for the information. I wasnt quite sure how to go about getting to the cluster.

Old 03-17-04, 03:02 PM
I'm not telling you to not do it just warning you.If the dealer would do it it would be a certified repair.That's all I'm telling you I don't care how you proceed but felt it would only be proper to tell you.

Old 03-17-04, 03:29 PM
Another fact you may want ot consider is that cluster is tied into a very sophisticated security system and can cause your car not to start if damaged. If you think your spending money now, wait til that happens.

Old 03-17-04, 03:33 PM
digital odo

I was just wondering if the mileage is not stored some place like the ecu.Kind of like a computer you can change the monitor but all the data is in the hard drive.I would like to replace my guages also on a 2003.

Old 03-17-04, 03:38 PM
Re: digital odo

Originally posted by michael van
I was just wondering if the mileage is not stored some place like the ecu.Kind of like a computer you can change the monitor but all the data is in the hard drive.I would like to replace my guages also on a 2003.
I can tell you that is a fact with some OBDII cars. I can't tell you which ones though.

Old 03-18-04, 09:47 AM
Not to get off track or anything, but I am skeptical about the instrument cluster causing this concern....

Old 03-18-04, 09:50 AM
Mileage tampering is still fraud, no matter what reason it is done.

Old 03-18-04, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by bigguy05641
Not to get off track or anything, but I am skeptical about the instrument cluster causing this concern....
I agree with you but the poster said that it was all figured out so I guess he or she has already eliminated any other electical problem including a class 2 communication failure or even a bad fuse.I don't know how anyone could do it accurately without a tech 2 scan tool.I can't think of any other scan tool that will communicate with all the modules that need checked.Maybe the poster owns one or had someone who owns one check it.