Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Clutch Problem?

03-17-04, 06:20 PM   #1  
Clutch Problem?

I have an '84 Ford Mustang with a 5.0 L engine, 5-speed manual transmission and 84 K miles. Car runs fine, but when I press down on the gas and get the RPM's over 2000, the car seems to be slipping into neutral and won't accelerate. So I have to back off on the gas and accelerate slowly to move any faster. Is this a clutch problem or is there something else I can check?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-17-04, 08:16 PM   #2  
fordman30
one if 84000 miles is all you have on this car WOW.low miles. it sounds like it is time for a new clutch,pressure plate and throw out bearing .synchronizer may be going out also...but lets see what the other guys thinks.this are my 2 suggestions .lets hope it is just the clutch assemply.

Visiting Guest

03-17-04, 08:42 PM   #3  
mike from nj
if it the shifter is popping out of gear, that's an internal trans problem

if it just revs up and you get a burning smell, that's all clutch.

the cable is adjustable, i just forget how, but it doesn't take long when it's slipping like this to totally burn it up. don't worry, it's a faily easy job as far as clutches go. i can think of a few i wouldn't want to do ever again----5.0L mustangs aren't one of them.

Visiting Guest

03-17-04, 11:58 PM   #4  
phantom
it sounds very much like a slipping clutch
mike is right i would also suggest checking the clutch freeplay
also is the clutch pedal high at engagement

03-18-04, 04:11 AM   #5  
Regardless of the clutch adjustment, at this point that clutch is smoked. I would also expect that the flywheel is pretty damaged by now if it's slipping that badly. The adjustment may have hastened this but it's too late now for that clutch.

03-18-04, 03:40 PM   #6  
Finally a mustang question!!

from the sounds of what you describe, it is NOT popping out of gear. Like already mentioned, so long as it is not popping out of gear, your tranny is ok, and it sounds like it is just your clutch.

The good news is that there is a million things you can do to this car, and do it cheapely and easily by yourself.

Check your clutch cable adjustment like already mentioned. The clutch cables on mustangs are NOT adjustable. They come with a factory "self" adjuster that is a pile of garbage, and consists of a dual piece PLASTIC quadrant under the dash, that tends to strip and flex over time. Anyhow, the only way to check cable adjustment is to pull UP on the clutch pedal with the bottom of your left foot until you hear a click. This disengages that clutch quadrant under the dash. Push Down on the clutch now, and that will re-engage that clutch quadrant, and the "self" adjuster will/should snap into place where it should be set at. That is the only adjustment you can do. If you are very lucky, that is your only problem, but I highly doubt it.

I am into modding mustangs quite a bit. The 5 speed you have is the weeker of the 5 speeds and is not the "world class" trannies that came in the 85 and ups. You could pick up a cheap t5 "world class" that will be a direct bolt on for a few hundred and will be stronger. The clutch you have is small too, and is the 10 inch. 86 and later mustangs came with a 10.5 inch. Good news is the balance on the flywheel is the same as yours, so if you do your clutch, at the minimum, I would find a flywheel out of an 86 or newer mustang, and mate that up with a clutch. That is VERY cheap, and will open the door to any mustang performance clutch you want, and the flywheel and clutch from the 86 up bolts straight on, no modification. May as well since it's all coming apart. If you want hi perf clutch suggestions, the most popular seem to be spec, frpp king cobra, centerforce dual friction round up the top three popular.

That pos quadrant under the dash needs to go too. You can get a fully adjustable kit for under 100 from steeda or upr, and it lets you adjust it at the firewall.

Anyway. I got carried away here, but the advice I have given is what I fealt is the minimum needed to perform if you are an "enthusiast" like me, and want really cheap upgrades that make a world of difference.

If you just use the car for transportation, and it's nothing else to you, buy an oem clutch for $100 or so, and put it in yourself, it really is a simple job.

If you have any questions about any of this stuff, just ask.

03-19-04, 07:31 PM   #7  
Thanks very much for all the advice. This is 1000% more information than I gained from the crappy book I picked up at the auto store. And yes, the shifter is not popping out of gear and like what was mentioned, I am now getting a burning smell when I push down hard on the gas.

I have never tackled a clutch before, but I may give it a try and I may be back with more questions. Thanks again.

03-19-04, 09:57 PM   #8  
feel free to ask away. Honestly don't be intimidated. If you have decent mechanical ability, then this task is easy. Grab a friend with equal skills, and go save yourself 700 bucks from labor!!

Search this Thread