battery

Old 03-18-04, 09:11 AM
battery

I have a three year old sentra and it has a battery you can unscrew the plugs and check the water level.
I know I should use distilled water but am not sure of the level of the water/sulphuric acid. I sthere a rule of thumb? All 6 cells are at the same level but have not been attended to in three years so all could be low.
The battery is"Nissan,nom 1074-1,part # 24410 4zooo, 88 min @ 0 degree F 356 amps.
Thanx
pete

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-04, 11:22 AM
most asian batteries have...

...a fill line on them. does the battery have a white case? if so, it's translucent and should have lines on one end or the other...if the case is black, you'll have to look thru the hole where the cap goes. as a rule of thumb tho, the plates must be covered, so if you can see the tops of the plates, it's low. distilled water is correct. put enough in to cover the plates by a quarter inch or so and you should be ok. overfilling will cause gassing and spewing and make a big mess in the battery area...potentially damaging wiring and other things around it.

keep also in mind that a three year old battery is likely in the second half of it's life...you may want to have it tested just to see what it's ability to produce power is...that way you can replace it before it lets you down. my preference is to test using a conductance style tester which actually tests the internal resistance of the battery itself. (the ability of the plates to transfer electrons from the acid to the plates and to the terminals)

load testing is ok...but on an older battery may be more stressful than the battery can handle.

if you need/want more specifics about battery testing...let me know

Old 03-18-04, 11:53 AM
battery

Thanx carguy, the plates are covered-it is a black battery and tough to look into for a fill line but the plates being covered and them all the same level make me think it's ok. It starts fine but I'll heed our advice about testing.
Pete

Old 03-18-04, 11:56 AM
oops...

...there's no fill line in a batt with a black case...the white ones usually have one. just go with looking down the hole with the cap removed.

Old 03-18-04, 12:15 PM
battery

Will do carguy and thanx again.
pete