Replacing Shocks

Old 03-18-04, 11:12 PM
Replacing Shocks

My 2000 Ranger XL hits holes and road buckles really hard and even goes a little sideways at certain speeds.It has almost 50k on it.It has shocks on the back and struts on front.I'm suspecting the shocks are shot since it does bounce 2 or 3 times after I release it in the 'Hand bounce test" Is this a DIY or take it to a professional. I've never tried a repair like this before.I'm not sure about the struts do you replace the shock in them or have to replace the whole thing and what tools would you need?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-04, 04:35 AM
Shocks are fairly easy to change using common hand tools.I think you are going to find you have 4 shocks on your truck,if you have front struts, I'll have to look under one of those again someday.

Old 03-19-04, 10:45 AM
It might be 4 shocks.It don't say anything about suspension in my owners manuel.I don't know much about it and when I look at the front it is a shock inside a coil spring so I assumed thats what it was.

Old 03-19-04, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by romod
when I look at the front it is a shock inside a coil spring so I assumed thats what it was.
Are you sure about that? I'm with davo on this one. I've never seen a Ranger with struts either. If it's 2WD, it should have twin "I' beam front axles.

Old 03-19-04, 11:49 PM
Yep I just went out and looked at it and it definetly has a "shock" incased in the coil spring on the front.The bottom of the assembly looks like a "wishbone" style, but I don't know much about it suspensions only the basics so its anyones guess.

Old 03-20-04, 03:50 AM
Sounds like you are describing a strut. I just haven't come across that design yet. You won't be able to change that yourself as you have to compress the coil spring to remove it. If you wan you can remove the whole assemply and take it to a tire dealer to change for you. Just DO NOT remove the main nut on top. Remove the 3 or 4 smaller bolts that go through the fender well area and the main bolt through the wishbone at the bottom.

Old 03-20-04, 04:08 AM
I think if you'll look under the truck at the bottom of the unit(spring) you should see two small bolts or nuts.The shocks go through the center of the springs on the front end.Take the two bolts/nuts off the bottom and one nut off the top and the shocks drop out the bottom.

Old 03-20-04, 11:37 PM
Thats it! There is two small nuts on the bottom.So do I just jack it up at the normal jacking points and support the truck like I would change a flat tire?Looks like there are some dirt guards in the wheel well that would have to come out to get at that top nut do them come out easily! This might be easier than I thought.

Old 03-21-04, 02:40 AM
Yes, that's just a regular shock. The hardest part may be removing the top nut without the shaft spinning on you.
Good luck