Belt replacement for SC1

Old 03-19-04, 10:46 AM
SaturnMan
Visiting Guest
Belt replacement for SC1

My belt came loose and I thought it had broken and took it off. The belt is fine, but now can't figure how to get it back on. We think you have to move the tension pully, but are unsure of how to go about it. Can someone help?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-04, 03:13 PM
Belts don't come off for no reason. Something threw it off. you need to find the problem and repair it. I would suspect one of the pulleys is pulling at an angle for one reason of another and the belt is just riding down on it. If you've had any of those components repaired recently, you could have an alignment problem. Either way, if it came off once and nothing was repaired, it will come off again. Don't re-use that belt either once you find the problem. It will be stretched on one side and distorted and will give you more problems.

Old 03-19-04, 03:54 PM
SaturnMan
Visiting Guest
I thought that the belt wouldn't just come off, but I haven't had any work done to any of the components. I did have to have a temperature sensor replaced by Saturn about two months ago. We did find a loose screw on the air conditioner compressor.

Thanks for your input. Any additional information you could add would be a great help.

Old 03-19-04, 04:28 PM
Look for pulleys that are being pulled away from perfect alignment. Things like loose pulley bearings, tensioners that spring out with belt tension on them, worn water pump or power steering pump. You have to have a good eye for that kind of stuff.

Old 03-19-04, 04:42 PM
SaturnMan
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help. It sounds like I really need to take it to a mechanic, but I still need to know how to get a belt back on so I can drive it the short distance to be worked on. Otherwise I will have to have it towed.

Search this Thread