Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

no start merc capri

Visiting Guest

03-19-04, 05:31 PM   #1  
greensprout
no start merc capri

Ihave a 1991 mercury capri (no turbo). Son was driving home from school, it died, Towed it home,checked fuel-OK,checked spark_none , Pulled distributer cap cranked engine distributer turns.visually inspected allwiring connections,clean and secure, cheched all fusesfor continuity no problems there. tested coil all readings within chiltens specs. reolaced dist module on outside dist $75. NO SPARK replaced pick up coil and module inside dist.$225 NO SPARK. Icannot find any manuals on this aussy manufactured vehicle.Don't know where to go next PLEASE HELP ME> thanks

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

03-20-04, 11:32 AM   #2  
Hello: greensprout

Basic Help Information Obtained Here:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=115340

Excerpts from above:

Check:

1) http://www.alldata.com for relevant Technical Service Bulletin titles that might apply to your problem. See the car dealer for a printout of the full bulletin. Alldata.com will only give you the titles of them! Also if it's a known recall, contact the manufacturer or the NHTSA at their website.

Causes of no spark: Bad ignition parts, crank sensor, broken timing belt (to test: see if the distributor rotor turns when you crank the engine). If in doubt, start with a full tune-up including all filters to eliminate any possible questionable parts. When the car does run, it will run better with fresh parts.

For information on how to read and interpret your trouble codes (if applicable), check out Knuckles & 0Patience's website at www.batauto.com

Try this Autolibrary.org link for service manual information. (You may have to cut and paste it to your browser's window):

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual...odelLookup.html

Service information can also be purchased at www.alldata.com.

Note: The best, most comprehensive, and recommended manual is the OEM factory service manual.

Go to the following URL for phone numbers and OE contact information regarding how to order them (as well as owner's manuals and service tools):

http://www.iatn.net/nastf/oematrix.pdf

Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

03-20-04, 12:41 PM   #3  
Check for power at the coil with the key on and while cranking(positive side).If you have power there take a test light from the positive to neg side of the coil the light should flash,if it does the coil is bad.If it doesn't you likely have a wire problem.

Visiting Guest

03-24-04, 09:26 AM   #4  
greensprout
no start merc capri

I did as suggested not coil, Must be wiring. Went to alll links listed nothing about 1991 merc capri. I guess it doesn't exist. Don't know how I managed to purchase a unicorn. If anyone out there knows anything about the wiring, or maybe the motor and electrical system were used in another vehicle that has manuals available, could you let me know? I do appreciate the advice from Sharp Advice, and davo. I think your forum is fantastic. I an on page 40 of 356 reading other folks Q&A's. Very entertaining, and Knowledgeable. Thanks again for helping.

03-24-04, 10:01 AM   #5  
Isn't the same as a Mustang?

VA

03-24-04, 10:50 AM   #6  
it's a mazda...

...that 1.6 liter engine is mazda made and has mazda engine controls on it. i'm going out on a limb here...they list a 1.6 coming in a 323....and then also a 1.6 DOHC in the M-5 miata...you might try looking at info for either of those and see what you see. i'd look for pictures and descriptions that look and sound like what you have befroe i went and did any diagnosing and replacing any more parts.

you need an understanding of how their ignition works...what it uses for a trigger and then how that signal is used to turn the coil on and off. i'm with davo...it seems you've already replaced the major parts that fail...go back to the basics and see if you even have voltage at the coil.....and just because the coil checks ok with an ohmmeter...doesn't mean the spark sin't going somewhere that it shouldn't.

Visiting Guest

03-24-04, 10:54 AM   #7  
greensprout
no start merc capri

This 1991 capri is made in Australia. it has a 1600cc non turbo powerplant. I cant find anything in mustang,merc,ford, or any manuals. Only thing I can find out about it is it was made from 1991 to 1994.

VA

03-24-04, 11:22 AM   #8  
post the...

...eighth character in the VIN, that's the engine designation...if it's a Z...it's a mazda engine.

the first character in the VIN is the coutry of origin...6 = australia

doesn't matter what country it was made in...if the 8th is a Z...it'a mazda engine

ford has been in bed with mazda for many, many years

03-24-04, 12:06 PM   #9  
Your right it's not a Mustang!

Visiting Guest

03-24-04, 12:46 PM   #10  
greensprout
no start merc capri

Thanks. It is a Mazda. Now I can get some manuals, and wiring info. I wonder why those folks at the Ford dealership here in town didnt know it was a Mazda? All they knew how to say was bring it in for $95 per hour, we can fix it. I appreciate their diagnostics, but I am a DIY'ER. I love working on vehicles. I also really appreciate you folks spreading your knowledge around. Thanks again.

Search this Thread