Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gas cap question

03-20-04, 09:52 AM   #1  
Gas cap question

Reading through all the different posts. I see before you hook up a fuel pressure guage you are supposed to relieve the pressure on the tank by removing the gas cap. Well I just realized that when I remove mine that I don't have a pressure build up. Would that be caused by a faulty gas cap or something else in the loop. I know a few people that have had no start conditions because of a loose gas cap. But that was in newer vehicles than mine ( 1992 Olds 88 W/3800 engine.) I always turn the cap for five or six clicks. I took a look at it today and noticed the rubber seal was a little dry. I put a thin layer of grease around it to see if it would seal any better ( not to much just enough to darken the rubber a little and see if it makes it a little more pliable) As always any responses will be apprecited. Thanks

Sponsored Links

03-20-04, 10:42 AM   #2  
Well I just realized that when I remove mine that I don't have a pressure build up. Would that be caused by a faulty gas cap or something else in the loop.
It's possible but, The fuel tank is under different conditions, pressure and vacuum. Depending on temp, evap purge, fuel return etc. You can have your cap tested. In fact some state inpections require it.

As far as the cap being loose it cannot cause a car to no start. On newer say '97> cars the cap being loose can set a check lite.

On older pre-evap cars a stuck vent in a cap could cause a fuel supply problem.

03-20-04, 01:42 PM   #3  
It will also have NO effect on your fuel pressure.

Search this Thread