Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Battery charging problem

Visiting Guest

03-20-04, 07:18 PM   #1  
grandpadon
Battery charging problem

I have a 1996 dodge ram diesel. Would not start replaced a 40 amp fuse and blew again. Fuse did not blow again. Batteries appear to charge. Had them checked and they were down. Put another set of batteries in and they will not hold a charge. Remove battery cables when I park. Today one of the batties was getting hot. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

03-20-04, 08:18 PM   #2  
Sounds like there is a draw. If the battery is getting hot there is a big draw.

03-21-04, 04:29 AM   #3  
You didn't mention if disconnecting the batteries did any good. It more sounds like you may even have an "overcharging" situation that is "cooking'\" the batteries. I suggest you have the vehicle tested for draw, battery and alternator.

Visiting Guest

03-22-04, 11:39 AM   #4  
grandpadon
battery

What could the draw be? The alternator showed it was charging last week but on the day the battery got "HOT" the alternator did not show charging. I took it off and had it checked and got a new one. Also, got new batteries but am hesitant to install them. I can continue taking the battery cables off when I am not using the truck but can not do this all the time. Thanks for your help.

03-22-04, 02:40 PM   #5  
Stop just throwing parts at it and have it tested as we suggested. You need to know just what is happening before you can begin to fix it.

Visiting Guest

03-22-04, 06:42 PM   #6  
grandpadon
Did have it tested. Had it towed in last Monday to a shop. Was told the batteries were bad. Put another set of batteries in. Then all the other stuff started happening. Had it taken to a shop because it did not appear to be the batteries since the charger showed the batteries charged up. He (shop) said the alternator was fine. Now have bought an alternator and 2 new batteries. Not just throwing parts in. Had the alternator tested at auto supply store after taking it off the truck. Checked for any bare wires. Just trying to get an idea since it appears it could be electrical and I am retired living on SS and pension so trying to save myself some money. Will take it back to the shop tomorrow.

Visiting Guest

03-23-04, 12:07 AM   #7  
mike from nj
maybe try describing it a little more clearer, in the order that things happened. the second and third sentences of your first post are quite confusing. which fuse are you talking about

also, it might be time for a different shop. if the draw is big enough to kill two diesel batteries, i would hope anybody could find that. and on a 96, if the system is over or under charging, the check engine light will be on, and with a stored code.

do you have access to a voltmeter?

let us know

03-23-04, 04:10 AM   #8  
Originally posted by grandpadon
Put another set of batteries in. Then all the other stuff started happening. Had it taken to a shop because it did not appear to be the batteries since the charger showed the batteries charged up. He (shop) said the alternator was fine. Now have bought an alternator and 2 new batteries. Not just throwing parts in. Had the alternator tested at auto supply store after taking it off the truck. Checked for any bare wires. Just trying to get an idea since it appears it could be electrical
Your still not doing what we suggested
We are asking you to get a basic VAT test $20-$30

it includes
1) Test batteries

2) Test alternator for voltage, amperage and diodes (in vehicle)

3) Test vehicle for draw (how much if any)

This simple test will tell us which direction to go with this. Bench testing an alternator may be free but doesn't tell you much of anything. We still don't know if you have a draw or not. We still don't know if the alternator is acting correctly when IN THE VEHICLE.

Visiting Guest

03-23-04, 12:45 PM   #9  
grandpadon
Thanks finally the last part of your message told me what I needed to do. You had just said it needed to be tested but not exactly what to do.

Search this Thread