Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ABS Light On 93 Sunbird

Visiting Guest

03-21-04, 03:34 AM   #1  
Thumper69x69
ABS Light On 93 Sunbird

ABS light on my 93 Sunbird will not go out and is draining my power rapidly. Heater will not even turn on. It seems that most, (if not all) of my 12 volt system is being sucked away from this. Is there anything I can disconnect to restore this power draw (I dont care about the ABS) and have the charging system restore my battery? Please help!!

Sponsored Links

03-21-04, 04:24 AM   #2  
Not in a million years is that ABS light draining your battery. You likely have a charging system problem and I recommend to bring it to a reputable shop to test the battery, alternator and for any draws. The ABS light is on because the system failed the self test when the key was first turned on. It's only telling you that the system has a problem and has been disabled. Nobody "needs" ABS until an emergency arises. Tell me you don't need it then, as you skid right into someone or something because you lost steering control.

03-21-04, 04:28 AM   #3  
I don't see how that is possible. Maybe your ABS light is on as a result of your charging system not working properly.

Start first with the charging system, check the voltage at the battery with rpm at 1500 and no acc on.

Visiting Guest

03-21-04, 04:57 AM   #4  
Thumper69x69
Well, I know for a fact that the ABS malfunction is causing the power drain. The ABS light will generally come on when there as a disconnect or malfunction within the system. While driving home from work on Friday the car performed a chugging sensation. My eyes went directly to the dash controls. All gauges went to their limit in the clockwise position. After a few moments they returned to their normal position. (Speedometer, oil pressure, temperature etc.) The only thing that did not change was the ABS light which, stayed on. Since then, my volt gauge has been dropping at a rapid pace. At this point there isnt enough power to even turn on the radio. The car has a new battery and alternator both less than two years old. This problem (drain) is either in the ignition switch or related to the ABS functionality. Please, I am just trying to provide the facts. Any response or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Visiting Guest

03-21-04, 05:09 AM   #5  
Thumper69x69
P.S. (For what its worth)
For the last eight years I have been working in the hi-tech industry. For thirteen years prior to that, I worked as an automotive parts salesman and counter clerk. I know for a fact that whatever is happening, the ABS light issue is draining every ounce of voltage I have.

Visiting Guest

03-21-04, 05:53 AM   #6  
Thumper69x69
I would like to express my thank you to those who responded! I have allot to learn and truly appreciate your feedback in respect to, this issue. Is it the alternator that has craped? From the responses received, I am starting to believe that it may be this item. The gauges bold reaction (and the symptoms) are leading me to believe that the charging system initially reversed the polarity and is now not supporting the 12 volt requirement the battery requires. Once again. Thank you!

Visiting Guest

03-21-04, 09:13 AM   #7  
Thumper69x69
Installed rebuilt alternator from Canadian Tire and brand new battery. Same problems. New battery is being depleted and ABS light wont go away.

03-21-04, 09:31 AM   #8  
You need to test the charging system with a digital voltmeter to see if you do have a charging system problem or not.

Replacing parts is not the answer. You could have a bad fuse or a poor wiring connection, there is many possiblities.

03-21-04, 12:40 PM   #9  
I'll play follow the leader on this one - symptoms are classic for a GM alternator failure. Beyond the few hundred I've repaired in a professional setting over the years, you are describing to a tee the failure of my own a few weeks back on my '95 Lumina. The ABS light is usually the first indication before all the lights and gauges go crazy. Can't explain the symptoms remaining after replacement of the alternator, other than you found a bad one, which isn't uncommon with rebuilds, or there is another problem in the charging system. Like toyotaman says, check it yourself or have it checked before you throw any more parts at it.

03-21-04, 03:27 PM   #10  
The alternator is not the only thing that can cause a charging problem. Many other things can do it. First find out what is really happening. The ABS light is not causing your voltage drop. The voltage drop could be causing the light to come on though. The module will shut down if voltages goes below a predetermined threshold. There isn't enough current in the ABS system to cause a problem like that. The light being on just means the system has been shut down anyway. Like everybody told you, have the system tested properly. We don't jump to conclusions so the only way we can help is if you get the right information.

Visiting Guest

03-21-04, 04:27 PM   #11  
Thumper69x69
Thank you everyone for your correspondence. I'm at wit's end with this one. Even with the new alternator and battery, initial start up did not clear the ABS light issue or provide enough power to run my heater. (blower motor.) As suggested, I will have the charging unit (new/rebuilt alternator) tested in the morning. When I hook up my fluke meter to the battery there is 12 volts. Once again, thank you to those who responded. Any further comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

03-21-04, 04:57 PM   #12  
Is that 12 volts with engine running at 1500 rpm?

03-21-04, 06:21 PM   #13  
Originally posted by Thumper69x69
As suggested, I will have the charging unit (new/rebuilt alternator) tested in the morning.
No, that's not what we're asking you to do. Take the CAR to a reputable repair shop and have them test the battery, the charging system (including the diodes) and for battery draw. No shortcuts if you want to find out what's going on here. Take the alternator to the store you bought it will prove absolutely nothing. I don't know where your getting this "not enough power to run the heater" stuff. If it started the car, it has enough power.

03-21-04, 07:19 PM   #14  
Actually Desi501, If the vehicle has got a short in the wiring/module/component before reaching the heater blower motor the voltage drop would be more then enough to not run the blower at full power. With the volt meter connected to the battery see if the voltage goes down a lot when you turn the key on(engine off) and then turn on the blower and see what the voltage does.

03-22-04, 03:44 AM   #15  
I don't buy that. The ABS is fused much lower than the blower and aren't even in the same circuit. It's much more likely the low voltage problem is triggering the ABS module to shut down, if it's a voltage issue at all.
Nobody's going to know until he gets that thing VAT tested like we recommended.

03-22-04, 04:15 AM   #16  
Have the fusible links at the starter been tested yet?Might want to give that a peek.

Visiting Guest

03-23-04, 12:51 PM   #17  
Thumper69x69
ABS Light On 93 Sunbird

Hello Everyone,
Thank you for your helpful feedback and comments in respect to my ABS light issues. (earlier in the week.) As it turned out, there was a major shortage in the ignition switch that was hampering/toying with most of my instruments. This explained the ABS light issue, loss of blower motor function and no lights. (to name a few.) I truly appreciate your expert opinions and thank you for your support!!! As previously indicated, I have allot to learn.
Till we meet again.
Thumper69x69

Search this Thread