Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Temperature and compass

PA

03-22-04, 11:23 AM   #1  
Temperature and compass

I want to install a device in my truck that will give me these two indicators, external temperature and compass heading. I don't want to spend two hundred dollars on a Gentex rear view mirror and I want the job to look professionally done, like it came with the truck. That leaves out the $10 Velcro stick on accessories they sell in Walmart and Pepboys. I'd be willing to put out maybe $50 for this type of gauge.

Does anybody know where I can get a high quality gauge that I could install in my dash that will provide these indicators? Or perhaps they make ones that will fit in a dummy switch opening in the dashboard and keep me from cutting it up.

2001 Ford Ranger

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-22-04, 11:53 PM   #2  
mike from nj
i don't know of anything that would sell for $50 and be accurate and last more than one month before it broke. have you looked in JC Whitney, they usually have real cheap stuff that lasts at least a few days before it breaks

there's an unrelated, yet somewhat, sorta, kinda related thread in 'chats and whines', if you need the link, try this:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=161896

03-23-04, 03:02 AM   #3  
I don't want to spend two hundred dollars on a Gentex rear view mirror and I want the job to look professionally done, like it came with the truck. That leaves out the $10 Velcro stick on accessories they sell in Walmart and Pepboys. I'd be willing to put out maybe $50 for this type of gauge.
What you want dosen't exist, the mirror ones really look good .

PA

03-23-04, 08:38 AM   #4  
What about an Explorer overhead console

I guess I answered my own question after looking and searching on the internet last night. There seems to be several sites that show how to install a Ford Explorer overhead console, with temperature and compass in it, into a Ranger. These can be purchased from a wreck for about $50-$80 dollars. Now only if I can find one in my shade of gray plastic or black.

I guess that a good, inexpensive idea can come to those who are willing to do the leg work to find it.

Thanks!

Search this Thread