van starts intermittently

Old 03-22-04, 11:59 AM
van starts intermittently

I have a 6 yr. old Plymouth Voyager.

Usually it starts with no problem.

Sometimes when I try to start it I get a click, sometimes a click with a very brief attempt to turn over. Sometimes it will do this a dozen times (but usually when it does this it only does it one or two times). It always eventually cranks and never cranks sluggishly when it finally does.

So what's the deal here. I was thinking short, but now I'm wondering if it's the starter and there's just a couple of spots where the contacts are worn and once it get's past those it's fine.

Is this the starter and how big of a job is it on this model?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-04, 09:00 PM
Could be but...
Check, I mean really check, your battery connections and those wires and the grounds
I mean, like, pull them off and clean them up
Everything you can find, even if it looks OK
...then you should test the starter

Old 03-23-04, 12:45 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
knowing what year( and what engine) you have would help a little. we are already selling 2005's, yet we also have a few 2003's on the lot. 6 years old isn't very accurate.

i've replaced quite a lot of starters(maybe a hundred) with the same symptoms you describe. the contacts inside the nippondenso solenoids are quite notorious, although i don't know if you have one, because i don't know which engine you have.

you have no short, a short blows fuses. you have an intermittent 'open circuit'.

do you have access to a voltmeter? do you intend to diagnose this first before throwing parts at it?

how hard is it? i really don't know. some engines are easy, some are hard.

Old 03-23-04, 07:07 AM
Sorry, Grand Voyager, 1998. I know it is a 6 cyl, I think a 3.3

Right, a short would be something grounding where it shouldn't be, right? But an intermittent open circuit could be as slickshift suggests, a loose connection, yes?

I don't have a voltmeter, but if I had a reasonable certainty that it was the starter, I'd probably be willing to go with that. The van has 130,000 miles on it.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Old 03-23-04, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by caleyg
if I had a reasonable certainty that it was the starter, I'd probably be willing to go with that. The van has 130,000 miles on it.
Thanks for all your help so far.
I don't know what you would consider "reasonable certainty". We generally verify any suspician and only then are we certain. While the bad connection scenerio is possible, they usually don't just suddenly fix themselves without moving, touching or tugging on something. The starter on the other hand usually acts just as you describe. It can only be tested and properly diagnosed while the problem is happening so if you want to try it. I'd say your odds are about 80% of being correct. You decide.

Old 03-23-04, 08:45 AM
That's probably good enough for me. Now to see if it's reasonable accessible.

Thanks all for your help.

Old 03-23-04, 09:47 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
drive it up on ramps, set the e-brake, block the rear tires.

unplug the battery negative terminal, use a 15mm wrench for the two starter bolts, a 13mm deep socket for the main wire lead, and a snap connector for the little wire.

when installing the starter(if it is actually a 3.3L) it will have a small spacer between it and the trans that is labeled "up".

a 3.0L is very similiar, it has no spacer, and might have 3 bolts sometimes.

both are a fairly easy job.