check engine light

Old 03-22-04, 06:57 PM
justchcky
Visiting Guest
check engine light

I have a 2001 jeep cherokee sport with 47000 miles. The check engine light just came on. I have been reading that it may be the gas cap or 0/2 sensors. I filled up with gas 03/21/04 and have drove about 150 miles before the light came on. Question is if the gas cap was not tight how long before the check engine light comes on. I just took off the cap and tightend it with 3 or 4 clicks. Light is still on. Will it take awhile for the light to go out.
thanks for any replies. -j-

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-04, 07:47 PM
Jeep Check Engine Light

You've got an OBD-II vehicle. The CEL is primarily an "emissions monitor" crosschecking all the computer sensor parameters to make sure they jibe with each other.

They compare each other against pre-established values in the onboard computer. In this way they "know" if the emissions are below one and one-half times the federally mandated levels.

The steady light means you've got an "active" diagnostic trouble code (DTC) or fault set.

Only way to know for sure what's going on is to hook up a scan tool and see what the codes are.

You also need a scan tool to reset the light.

Remember, the DTC only "tells" you what system is affected, not which component to replace. You or your technician still needs to determine the root cause of the problem.

HTH

Matt

Old 03-23-04, 12:13 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
the check engine light can come on for 150-200 different things. if it was the gas cap being loose, and is now tight, the light will go off after a few days of normal driving. if not, then it's time to have someone scan the codes and go from there.

Search this Thread