01 suburban shocks

Old 03-23-04, 08:57 AM
01 suburban shocks

we have a 01 suburban with 60,000 miles and the ride is not as smooth as we think it should be. will shocks make that much difference, and what type should i get without breaking the bank? we got it at 28,000 miles and it wasnt very smooth then. i remember the older ones had the smoothest ride, and my father-in-laws new 4x4 blazer rides like a cadillac.
oh yea, we changed to the updated pcv valve and it still has occasional blow-by at start-up, and still uses between 1&2 qts between oil changes. its funny how it is inconsistant though.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-04, 10:32 AM
you don't say anything...

...about the type and condition of the tires. have you checked the air pressure in them? i'd be surprised if you need shocks at this point in time...my wife drives a 00 tahoe with standard suspension (which includes bilstein shocks) and it rides just as well today as when we bought it. in fact...i thought the firestone tires that came from the factory were pretty good...until i put a set of michelins on it at 60k (it has 72k on it now). which suspension does it have...there are (were) a couple options. i don't think i'd just throw a set of shocks at it without a professional opinion...and btw...they (the shocks) won't be cheap...unless you want cheap ones and that would defeat the purpose of putting them on in the first place.

what do you mean "occasional blow by at start up"? what engine does it have?

Old 03-23-04, 11:01 AM
Kerry, I have heard this same thing from other suv owners before, and what most don't realize is that they are still driving a truck. My co-worker couldn't figure out what was wrong with her explorer till I drove it, and pointed out that technically, it is still a truck.

Every vehicle rides differently, and the fact may be that your particular vehicle has tighter suspension that what you prefer.

This is not to say that you have a real problem, which of course is quite possible, but it is aimed to point out that many people now adays do expect their truck/suv to ride like a caddy, and it is still important to remember that they are really still driving a truck. just my .02

Old 03-23-04, 11:12 AM
Listen to carguyinva. The key is in the tires. The only way you would benefit from an upgrade in shocks is if you tow a trailer or carry heavy loads. Then a heavier shock wouls maintain stability better, otherwise like he said, Michelins would help a lot.

Old 03-23-04, 11:38 AM
I didn't say that tires wouldn't help they may.

The entire point behind my statement is that imo way too many people have jumped onto the suv/truck bandwagon, and in the process, I see a lot of these people completely forget that they indeed are not driving a car.

Definetly troubleshoot to see if there is a problem and search for smoother tires next time around, but I wouldn't throw too much money at it trying to make it what it's not.

Old 03-23-04, 11:56 AM
thanks for the info guys. tires may be the problem. they are about half life and are probably the origionals. its my wifes car so i rarely drive it. its just that i remember that in the late 80,s and well into the 90,s that chevy trucks had the smoothest ride.
as for carguys question, i think it is the 5.7. i dont have the info memorized. when we bought it used at 28,000 we noticed it would fill the garage with smoke about once or twice a week at start-up. some of you guys gave me some info early on and one suggestion was to go with the modified pcv valve that gm offered for that purpose. well i did it and it seemed to help a little, but definately didnt solve the blow-by or the oil use. sometimes it will hardly move on the stick for 2000 mi., and sometimes it will use a quart or more. there are definately no leaks because our garage floor is clean. i have asked lots of people and noone seems to have an answer. the engine runs great and the oil psi never drops that i can tell.

Old 03-23-04, 02:45 PM
Sounds like you may have a valve guide issue also. Considering that and the inadequate ride, you may consider trading for something you'll like better before you start investing too much money into it.

Old 03-24-04, 04:12 AM
the most likely...

...cause of blue smoke on startup in a small block chevrolet engine with only 60k on it is the valve guide seals. not a big deal to do...or have done. not something you should attempt without compressed air to hold the valves up while you remove the valve springs.