1996 Mazda Mx6 Engine Surges

Old 03-23-04, 02:29 PM
MIKESR
Visiting Guest
1996 Mazda Mx6 Engine Surges

I HAVE A 1996 MAZDA MX6 THE RPM SURGES (UP & DOWN) WHEN THE COOLING FAN ENGAGES. RUNS FINE WHEN THE FAN IS OFF. MIKESR.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-04, 04:47 PM
That may be related to your A/C problem in the other thread. The fan coming on and the computer triggering an "idle up" may be the ECM trying to engage the compressor with no response from it.

Old 03-23-04, 05:14 PM
surging

Tell us some more about the car.

Any recent repairs or other problems other than the A/C mentioned in your other thread?

Matt

Old 03-25-04, 05:46 AM
MIKESR
Visiting Guest
Re: surging

Originally posted by smogtek
Tell us some more about the car.

Any recent repairs or other problems other than the A/C mentioned in your other thread?

Matt
Hi Matt, My grandson just bought the car and I don't know the history. It's when the engine cooling fan engages the rpm goes (on the dash) from 1500-550 rpm. The engines almost stalls out. When the car was bought there was a clutch engagement problem. the clutch was suppose to have been changed, but, I feel it engages low. The car is in use now. Thanks, MIKESR.

Old 03-25-04, 05:54 AM
MIKESR
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Desi501
That may be related to your A/C problem in the other thread. The fan coming on and the computer triggering an "idle up" may be the ECM trying to engage the compressor with no response from it.
Sounds understandable, but, with the a/c switch is off and the engine cooling fan comes on, the engine surges from 1500-600 rpm and almost stalls, would the ECM still try to engage the a/c? Thanks, MIKESR.

Old 03-25-04, 05:37 PM
I'd start by disconnecting the power supply wire/connector from the AC compressor, start it up and see what happens. If no change try the following:

Some engines will surge if the coolant is low. Check the cooling system and make sure you have the proper amount of coolant in the system and all the air is bled out. If your engine does not have a bleeder port in the cooling system, you can also bleed it by loosening the coolant temp sensor or temp sending unit.

They are usually located near the thermostat housing.

Matt

Old 03-27-04, 01:00 PM
MIKESR
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks so much it looks like I'm on my way, MIKESR.

Old 03-27-04, 02:48 PM
what was the fix?

Curious minds want to know. LOL!

Matt