Dodge ram 50 catalytic convertor

Old 03-23-04, 05:34 PM
Dodge ram 50 catalytic convertor

I have an 89 Dodge ram 50 and the cadalytic convertor has always rattled since i shook it when i replaced the muffler. Now it rattlels louder especially when cold. Also the truck lacks power and when you push down hard on the accelerator it makes a sort of sucking noise. Shouild i take the convertor out and just replace it with a piece of pipe? The truck is a the 4X4 with a 2.6 liter 4cyl .Thanks for any help or advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-04, 06:14 PM
Make sure the engine and controls are functioning properly and if they are replace the converter.If not repair the malfunctioning components and replace the converter.I do not condone defeating emission control components and I will not be a party to it.I have little children that will need our(their air)to be as unpolluted as possible.It is everyones responsibility to adhere to the guidelines set forth to us,yes I know it hurts to pay for clean air,but relax it will get way worse as time goes on.You should be able to find a low cost aftermarket converter to fit your application.

Old 03-24-04, 05:29 AM
if you replace with a pipe...

...you would be in violation of the clean air act...punishable by $25,000 fine. not to mention youe vehicle won't pass most inspection laws (don't know what state you live in or their laws...but here in VA, you can't pass state inspection...much less an emissions inspection required in some areas.) i also agree with Davo...i don't cheat emission laws, period! nor do I condone it for others, no matter where they live...