Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mazda RX-7 wiper grommet

MD

03-24-04, 12:47 PM   #1  
Mazda RX-7 wiper grommet

I have a 1985 Mazda RX-7, 1st generation, 12A engine.

The metal arm connecting the wiper motor to the driver's side of the windshield wiper assembly came off. It was held on by a small plastic "grommet". This is similar to what I have seen on old Chryslers and Hondas. I was able to pop it back on, but now the grommet is so loose that it makes a loud noise when on and I am sure it is bound to pop off again.

I tried buying a new one, but so far all I am told is that the wiper assembly/rack/transmission is sold only as a complete unit and so no grommet is available. I am also told that the assembly is no longer available from Mazda or Mazdatrix.

First, this grommet has to be available from someone? I can't believe that I might have to buy a whole unit just for a little piece of plastic. Is this grommet available from someone? If so, from who? If it is not, will a grommet from another Mazda/car work?

In the worse case, does anyone know where I can find a new wiper assembly/rack/transmission at a reasonable price?

Someone else must have had this same problem.

Please help!

Sponsored Links

CO

03-24-04, 01:37 PM   #2  
From what I've seen most """RX-7""" owners are very much fanatics about their cars, as the the """MIATA""" owners. I know there is a site dedicated to Miatas so probably also one dedicated to RX-7s. You might try lurking on those sites, I'll bet you can find out the interchangeability and/or some way to rig it without a lot of expense. Let's face it, you can't be the first one to have this happen to them.

Frank

03-24-04, 02:37 PM   #3  
It's not uncommon for that "grommet" not to be serviced. You are usually reguired to by the whole assy.

Search this Thread