Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Power Windows-99 Grand Prix

Visiting Guest

03-25-04, 07:02 AM   #1  
David Fulford
Power Windows-99 Grand Prix

I just bought a '99 Grand Prix SE sedan.

3.1 engine
117k miles

The passenger side window won't move, regardless of which rocker switch I try (driver side or passenger side). The switches aren't bad because I can here what sounds to be a small relay click and the courtesy lights dim slightly when I push the button.

Also, randomly there is a louder click that sounds like it comes from the engine compartment on the driver side when I press the button (up or down)

I tried to take the panel off the door to have a look but I don't have any torx drivers. Getting some today. Also getting a service manual.

Just trying to get a jump on this and leverage off of your experience to minimize my downtime.

Thanks a bunch!

-Dave

Sponsored Links

VA

03-25-04, 09:23 AM   #2  
you really need the wire diagram to help...

...with this because the ground path is back thru the master switch in the drivers door. power window wiring (any wiring, really) is suceptible to breakage at the flexible conduit where the hinges are. at any rate...it should be checked with a test light or volt meter and possibly a jumper wire.

judging by the fact that you have sound and the lights dim when trying to operate says that the switches and wiring are probably ok (i always verify) and the motor is stalled. replacing a motor is a somewhat nasty job and you'll need the procedure to do it correctly...so be sure that's what's wrong.

good luck

Visiting Guest

03-25-04, 02:05 PM   #3  
David Fulford
Thank you! I'm assuming the diagram and procedure will be in a good service manual. Any suggestions on a good manual? Do you think Chilton's be good enough? Any special tools required?

Thanks again.

-D

Visiting Guest

03-30-04, 02:21 PM   #4  
David Fulford
Window fixed! (got lucky)

Well, finding a service manual for this thing is like pulling teeth. Finally had to ask the local CarQuest order one because nobody has them on the shelf. They ordered the wrong one so we'll try again tomorrow.

Anyways, I got tired of waiting so I opened up the door just to get a feel for how it all works (I'm a little impatient).

I removed the motor assembly from the door and proceeded to separate the motor from the cable pully. I wanted to run the motor by itself to determine if the motor was froze up or the pully. I didn't expect it to be spring loaded in between the motor and the pully! Luckly I pulled it apart slowly and realized it was spring loaded before I pulled it apart too far. I finally got it back together and waddayaknow...it works now!!!

I'm guessing a part of the cable got cross ways in he houseing causing it to bind. Or maybe there was a little something in there preventing it from moving. I really don't know.

Anyway, just thought I would give an update. Maybe someone can benefit. I'm sure I saved about $500 fixing this myself because there's quite a bit of labor involved! Sometimes you just get lucky!

-Dave

03-30-04, 02:43 PM   #5  
If it lasts great but I'll bet you are going to need a regulator assembly.The cable types are not real famous for durability.If you buy a service manual pass on Chilton and the hanes type manuals.You need a Pontiac manual for real info.An alldata subscription would be the next best option at $25 a year.

Visiting Guest

03-31-04, 06:31 AM   #6  
David Fulford
Originally posted by davo
If it lasts great but I'll bet you are going to need a regulator assembly.The cable types are not real famous for durability.If you buy a service manual pass on Chilton and the hanes type manuals.You need a Pontiac manual for real info.An alldata subscription would be the next best option at $25 a year.
Yea, I'm not counting my chickens just yet just keeping my fingers crossed. Those regulators are spendy!

That cable is pretty lame...no bigger around than a piece of string. I can see why it would fail often. During my internet searching about this problem I came across a class action lawsuit about overpriced repairs of frequent power window failures in GM vehicles. Must be a chronic problem.

I ordered a Haynes just because I couldn't find anything else. How do I get a hold of a REAL Pontiac service manual? I'm sure they're expensive but I'd much rather have that than the Haynes or Chilton.

Thanks!

03-31-04, 02:07 PM   #7  
Call the local Pontiac dealer and ask or try ebay.Alldata would provide most of what you would ever need but at $25 per year.Right on your home or work computer.

Search this Thread