Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Blazer A/C help please.

03-25-04, 03:40 PM   #1  
Blazer A/C help please.

I am working on my daughter's 1996 Chevy Blazer. I noticed a piece of plastic missing from the top half of the plastic air conditioning evaporator housing in the engine compartment. I thought something had hit it and broken a piece out. This may have happened but I touched it and another piece fell out. It is cracked in several places. But the main problem is that it is so brittle that if you touch it it will break another piece out.

The top half comes off but it looks like you would have to take off the dryer and then I'm not sure you can get it out from under the cowel. It must not be easy to get off because there are 2 areas that ase labled cut here for service. Has anyone seen this before and is there a good way to fix it?

The only thing I can think of is to put some epoxy over the cracks and then duct tape over the missing pieces, and I doubt if the duct tape would last very long. The largest missing piece is about 1" x 3".

Does anyone have a good fix for this????

Sponsored Links

03-25-04, 05:00 PM   #2  
Are you sure it is the actual case and not a cover over the case. Is it exposing the evaporator? If it just the cover, don't worry about it. If it'd really the cover you need to get it sealed up again. If you can get your hands on an old case or some other sheets of plastic about the same thickness, you can just cut a peice to pacth over it and hot glue it over the hole. I've never seen the actual case deteriorate like that though. I have seen that outer shell flake away though.

03-25-04, 07:01 PM   #3  
I've got 97 Jimmy with a similar cover. I think that is just a protective cover. Mine isn't brittle though.

03-25-04, 09:33 PM   #4  
Yes it is an outer cover as I can see another cover inside of it. The evaporator is not showing through the holes.

I cleaned the surface with alcohol & put some epoxy on the cracks and it seemed to stiffen it up. I would like to have sanded the surface so the epoxy would stick better but I was afraid I would break more pieces out of it. I guess I will put some duct tape on it tomorrow.

03-26-04, 04:32 PM   #5  
Don't worry about it. When I change an evaporator in one of those, that cover turns into a pile of chips and gets thrown away. It's really not necessary.

Search this Thread