Manual Tranny Gear oil

Old 03-25-04, 04:38 PM
Stubborn1
Visiting Guest
Question Manual Tranny Gear oil

1984 Honda Accord, 1.8L, 5 speed manual. Not original engine, but 270,000 on the odometer.

My Chilton manual says to use motor oil, not gear oil in the transmission. (I want to change the fluid out, because I do not know the age/mileage of it.)

Are there any benefits to using a full synthetic or synthetic blend oil? Or should I just save a few bucks and use conventional oil? And does anybody recommend any particular brand (and why)?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-04, 05:21 PM
trans gear oil

You'll be safe following the recommendations in the manual.

My '86 Accord had 242K on the clock. I was using Castrol GTX in it without a problem. When I replaced it with another after the case split, I used Castrol GTX again. Seems to work just fine.

Just make sure you use the correct weight oil.

HTH

Matt

Old 03-26-04, 09:45 AM
I have always used full synthetic in my Honda manual transmissions. As Mat said use the recomended weight. I think they hold less than 2 qt. so the extra cost is minimal. The synthetic will give better over all protection and if you live in a cold climate it will shift easier when it is cold.

You may not be able to notice but it will have less friction which will = a slight improvement in fuel economy.

Synthetic ATF in corvette manual transmissions (that call for regular ATF) has shown a significant decrease in shifting effort.