1993 Grand Prix Overheating

Old 03-26-04, 09:39 AM
James Trenary
Visiting Guest
1993 Grand Prix Overheating

My grand prix bucks and stauls out after engine heats up. The temperature gauge on the dash reads normal while car is running in park or neutral. If engine stops, the gauge shows red line. The engine starts but stauls when put in gear. When engine cools down, the car can be put in gear and run until heats up again.

I've checked the anti-freeze and appears in both cooled radiator and rises in overheat tank when warm. I've felt top radiator hose and fluid seams to be flowing through thermostat. Fans do not seam to be coming on when overheating.

Hoses are not leaking.

What else can I check and what are other possibilities?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-04, 09:56 AM
The fans should be coming on at a pre determined temp., usually at or just above the thermostat temp. If the car overheats and the fans are not runnung you may have a blown fuse, bad fan or fans, or bad temp. sensor for the fans.

You can usually check fan operation bu turning the air cond. on. Many cars turn the fans on when the air cond. is on.

Never let the temp gage get into or near the red area because you are risking expensive damage such as a cracked head, blown head gasket, etc.

Old 03-26-04, 10:21 AM
James Trenary
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the information.

Old 03-26-04, 11:51 AM
David Fulford
Visiting Guest
Re: 1993 Grand Prix Overheating

Originally posted by James Trenary
My grand prix bucks and stauls out after engine heats up. The temperature gauge on the dash reads normal while car is running in park or neutral. If engine stops, the gauge shows red line. The engine starts but stauls when put in gear. When engine cools down, the car can be put in gear and run until heats up again.

I've checked the anti-freeze and appears in both cooled radiator and rises in overheat tank when warm. I've felt top radiator hose and fluid seams to be flowing through thermostat. Fans do not seam to be coming on when overheating.

Hoses are not leaking.

What else can I check and what are other possibilities?
You say the temp guage reads normal in park or neutral. How about driving down the road?

You say the guage shows readline when the engine stalls, but on some vehicles that's normal since no cooling is taking place. Residual heat from the engine will cause the guage to spike.

I'd make sure it is actually overheating by putting a mechanical guage in, even temporarily. Pressure check the system also. The bucking and stalling may be another problem all together.

Old 03-26-04, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by car nut
The fans should be coming on at a pre determined temp., usually at or just above the thermostat temp.
No, actually the car uses a 195' thermostat and the fans are set to come on around 226'. The fans will cycle off around 218'

It sure sounds like your trying to continue to drive this car after the temp has redlined. You've probably already done some engine damage. It's time to have it diagnosed correctly before it costs you an engine, if it hasn't already.

Search this Thread