Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

91 chevy clutch transmission problems.

Visiting Guest

03-26-04, 05:12 PM   #1  
tjrex
91 chevy clutch transmission problems.

I just bought the truck and do not know the history of the cluch or transmission. It worked fine for the first 200 miles and now when cold does not want to shift into gear. After it warms up it shifts much better but not quite like it should. What do you think is my problem? I have checked the clutch fluid level and it was fine.

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links

03-26-04, 06:46 PM   #2  
Before I got real deep into it I would drain the trans and put full synthetic gear oil in it and give it a couple days to see what happens.Back then there was a bulletin about changing over to synthetic for shift concerns,maybe someone changed it back to regular gear oil and you are feeling increased shifting difficulty,I'm not sure,but I had a 1991 s10 truck that had the same problem and synthetic fixed it.You may have other problems but I feel this is worth a shot.

Visiting Guest

03-26-04, 08:48 PM   #3  
tjrex
Thanks I will give that a shot.

Visiting Guest

03-26-04, 09:15 PM   #4  
mike from nj
sorry to jump in, davo, but before changing any fluid, make sure the trans even takes 'gear oil'.

most manual tranny's nowadays take 5w-30 motor oil, ATF, or a special blend of gear oil. one example: the trans behind a diesel takes only one type of fluid, and at $22 a quart. anything less than that and you risk a failure.

my only point is to either read the owner's manual, a good service manual, or talk to someone who knows the exact trans in your vehicle, and knows the exact fluid it takes, (davo would be one of them).

the fluid in the trans makes the biggest difference in shift 'feel'

davo, would your s-10 have a T-5, i thought they all took ATF, maybe i'm wrong.

Search this Thread