Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Service Light

Visiting Guest

03-27-04, 12:45 PM   #1  
1fireman
New to me

1997 Mercury Cougar 4.6 V8 Automatic

While My car was in storage next to the house this winter I developed a leak in the plastic quick connect that goes to my fuel filter from the gas tank. I replaced the quick connect and fuel filter, however I think it threw a code when the fuel pressure was diminished from the leak in the gas line, and my service engine light came on. The shop down the road wants 98 bucks to read the code and reset it, and the same just to reset it. This is where I need the help. How do I get the service engine light off, assuming the low fuel pressure was the problem, without paying someone a hundred bucks for five minutes of work?

Sponsored Links

03-27-04, 03:01 PM   #2  
Go to an autozone they will read codes for free and clear them.Post the code #s here and we will help you if possible.

03-27-04, 04:39 PM   #3  
Re: New to me

Originally posted by 1fireman
1997 Mercury Cougar 4.6 V8 Automatic

How do I get the service engine light off, assuming the low fuel pressure was the problem, without paying someone a hundred bucks for five minutes of work?
Don't assume that is the reason the light is on. It is likely another reason and should be diagnosed and not just cleared. That's the reason codes are set, to tell you something needs fixing. The problem your going to encounter is that AutoZone will only read memory codes from the generic area of the computer and Ford has 2 other self tests that need to be run to get the complete picture and I don't believe AutoZone can do that. You may have to resort to a reputable shop to get the rest of the information. I wouldn't look at it as 5 minutes work. Try years and years of training schools and personal tools that can cost over $75,000. That's where your $98 comes from. The average is more like $60-$70 anyway. That guy's a little high.

Visiting Guest

03-27-04, 06:06 PM   #4  
1fireman
The reason I assume it is from the low fuel pressure is because the first time I noticed the light was the same day I noticed it was running rough, and the same day I noticed the fuel leak. If I clear the code and there is still a problem wont it throw another code to tell me the problem hasn't been fixed? And if the problem is fixed and the code is cleared, the light should stay off.

You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder Desi....

And by the way, now that I replaced the line and filter it runs as good as it did the day I bought it.

03-27-04, 06:24 PM   #5  
You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder Desi....
Sounds like you think technicians don't earn their money

Visiting Guest

03-28-04, 05:44 PM   #6  
1fireman
Well desi, if you ask me reading and resetting a code isnt worth a hundred bucks, especially when I have a pretty good Idea why the code was thrown. They have an hourly rate they charge, if they went by their hourly rate for this particular thing it would cost me 15 bucks at the most. By the way, this isnt one guy trying to make a living, these techs work for a fairly large chain.

Don't assume that is the reason the light is on. It is likely another reason and should be diagnosed and not just cleared.
Why is it "likely" another reason desi? Possible, yeah I would agree, but not likely.

03-29-04, 02:34 AM   #7  
They have an hourly rate they charge, if they went by their hourly rate for this particular thing it would cost me 15 bucks at the most. By the way, this isnt one guy trying to make a living, these techs work for a fairly large chain.
Just think, if you go to training for the next 20 years and spend over $50,000 in personal tools and equipment, you won't need him anymore. Then you can use all that to make your own 15 bucks.

OH, and remember, you only get to keep about $4 of that. The shop has a much bigger investment than you and they keep the rest.
You know, now that you mention it, that hospital only spent 15 minutes putting me through that machine last week. I'm going to tell them it's only worth $25. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Last edited by Desi501; 03-29-04 at 03:07 AM.

03-29-04, 04:07 AM   #8  
Instead of debating the cost give us the codes Autozone gave you unless you didn't bother to go have them read.

Search this Thread