lug nut key (lack of)

Old 03-27-04, 08:27 PM
lug nut key (lack of)

My son bought a used Pontiac Bonneville. It has locks for the lug nuts. He lost the key. He had a form to fill out to order another one. (He lost the form).

Can anyone tell me (since he now has a flat tire) how to get a key so the tire can be changed? Or better yet, is there another way around this?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-04, 02:54 AM
Group Moderator
Any good garage or tire shop should have the proper specialty tool to remove it (a "female" easy-out). Tire stores, especially, see it all the time.

Old 03-28-04, 04:09 AM
Yes, the is a removal kit made but it's designed to remove the "McGard" type of locks. If that car has the OEM GM brand, (the type with plastic covers) your probably looking at a chisel to get them off. If they are recessed in the wheel, that could cause damage to the wheel.

Old 03-28-04, 07:38 AM
We had this problem a while back, and the suggestion was to take an appropiatly undersized socket and hammer it on to the lug nut. You will not be able to reuse the socket, so if you have 4 of them to remove, you will need to buy 4 sockets. And they need to be quality sockets, not cheapies, or they will crack.

Old 03-28-04, 08:01 AM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
i usually use a 19mm 16 point to remove them.