throttle stuck?

Old 03-27-04, 09:51 PM
throttle stuck?

2000 Mercury Sable 6 cylinder 24 valve. 60k miles
When doing 60-65mph and let let off the gas pedal, it feels like the cruise control is on. I put the car in neutral and the RPM's go to 4K. I have to give it some gas while in neutral to at least 2-4 times to kick it down.

I brought to dealer they said there was carbon built up in throttle body and they supposedly cleaned it out and charged $100, also they cleaned the fuel injectors.

But it just happened again today. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-04, 02:51 AM
Group Moderator
Well, for starters, take it back and tell them you either want your money back, or for them to credit you $100 when they fix whatever IS the problem. Don't let them off the hook.

My $.02 worth.

Old 03-28-04, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by the_tow_guy
Well, for starters, take it back and tell them you either want your money back, or for them to credit you $100 when they fix whatever IS the problem. Don't let them off the hook.

My $.02 worth.
That would be my first step also. There has to be some obvious reason for that. Possibly one of the cables is off the channel and binding somewhere. Maybe a very severe vacuum leak. The IAC isn't capable of going that high.

Old 03-28-04, 04:28 PM
IAC? Throttle sticks intermittently, maybe once every 3-4 days. I do alot of country road driving. 60 mph range

Old 03-30-04, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by thepooder
IAC? Throttle sticks intermittently, maybe once every 3-4 days. I do alot of country road driving. 60 mph range
Not real likely. That RPM is a bit high for the IAC on it's own. The other thing is what would have commanded the IAC to go that high to start with. If it is a sticking problem, it has to be commanded to get there first. Look for something else that could introduce air in volume on an intermittant basis. I would think a sticking IAC would set a code also.

Old 03-30-04, 07:03 AM
What is IAC?
Thanks

Old 03-30-04, 08:32 AM
IAC stands for...

...idle air control. it is a small stepper motor located usually in the throttle body that allows air to bypass the throttle plate, thereby controlling idle speed. they are pretty notorious for failing on fords...altho i agree with Desi, it would be unlikely that an IAC could raise the idle speed to 4 grand.

Old 01-16-06, 10:11 AM
stuck throttle

Did you ever get this resolved?...
I am having the same problem on a '05 Sable. I've taken it to the dealer and they said there were no fault codes so they cleaned the throttle body and sent me on my way. On the way home the throttle stuck again but now it seems to much more intermittent (every few days) instead of every day.
If you have any insight on this your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-16-06, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by thepooder
2000 Mercury Sable 6 cylinder 24 valve. 60k miles
When doing 60-65mph and let let off the gas pedal, it feels like the cruise control is on. I put the car in neutral and the RPM's go to 4K. I have to give it some gas while in neutral to at least 2-4 times to kick it down.

I brought to dealer they said there was carbon built up in throttle body and they supposedly cleaned it out and charged $100, also they cleaned the fuel injectors.

But it just happened again today. Any suggestions?

Thanks
There is a safety recall for "Brake/Accelerator Pedal Lateral Space Defect".
Not sure what that covers, but could be causing the pedal to stick.

Old 01-17-06, 06:03 AM
The proper way to diagnose a sticking throttle is by separating the different components to "bracket" the problem. Unclip the throttle cable from the throttle assembly and from the brake pedal, and check each of the three components for smooth movement. One common problem is a kinked cable, which sometimes happens when a gorilla does work under the hood.

This is a potential safety problem. It should be resolved as soon as possible.

Old 01-18-06, 01:19 PM
One more thing

As basic as this may sound and it happend to me one time my floor mat had slid up into the gas petal.Might not be the case here but it is possible.