97 Nissan 1500RPMs Max

Old 03-28-04, 05:36 AM
Myke
Visiting Guest
97 Nissan 1500RPMs Max

I have a 97 Nissan Pickup with a 2.5 L engine. Last night it decided that it wasn't going to go above 1500 rpms. It idles fine, but seems like it's fuel starved and when the tach hits 1500 it dies and goes back to an idle. Fuel pump? Thanks!!
Myke

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-04, 07:13 AM
The only way your going to find out is put a fuel pressure gauge on it. You also need to give us more info such as mileage, any repair history, things already checked. Is it the same whether in park or drive? Is the cutout very smooth or is it a sharp cutoff. Is the any check engine light on? Have you scanned for codes? Was the start of the symptom timed with a fuel fill up or anything else?

Old 03-28-04, 07:52 AM
Myke
Visiting Guest
Desi501,
Let's see, 123K miles with no major repairs ever. It's a manual transmission (4wd truck) and the cut out was sudden at 1500 rpm, no smooth transition. It felt like someone had a switch on the fuel flow. It wasn't flooding when I tried to give it gas, it just dropped back to 1500. This morning it runs great, not good news, I'd rather have it just plain broke. The air cleaner temperature sensor does need to be replaced, but I don't believe that it could cause the problem, I was getting plenty of air. (Removed the air cleaner cover). Nope no code reader, geez I ordered one on Friday go figure...

Thanks for any help you can lend,
Myke

Old 03-28-04, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Myke
The air cleaner temperature sensor does need to be replaced, but I don't believe that it could cause the problem, I was getting plenty of air. (Removed the air cleaner cover).
And what makes you sat that. That sensor controls fuel mixture. Whether it's the problem or not, you can't just ignore known problems in the fuel injection system. Replace that first. You need to start checking some things like fuel pressure, trouble codes, maybe even exhaust back pressure. If you can't read ECM data, then you may have to manually test things like TPS, MAP and a vacuum reading would help determine exhaust blockage.

Old 03-28-04, 11:36 AM
Myke
Visiting Guest
And what makes you sat that
Because it's been disconnected for two years.

Guess I'll wait for the computer interface that I ordered...

Myke

Old 04-04-04, 05:35 AM
Myke
Visiting Guest
Looks like this was a fuel filter problem. Once I got my computer interface I was able to clear out the old code from the air cleaner temperature sensor, and see that there were no others.

I took a hack saw and cut off the top of the old filter, amazing the truck ran at all. It was still holding gas inside the paper, brown, crusty rusty looking gas. There was even some gooey sludge stuck on the inside wall.
Myke