Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1994 cavalier with problems

Visiting Guest

03-28-04, 12:27 PM   #1  
jsurfer2
1994 cavalier with problems

my 1994 cavilier will die when i let off the gas. this only happens after driving about 15 to 20 miles on the highway. it will restart but will die again when i shift into drive. the mechanics dont find any codes in the computer. we have changed out the fuel injector because it was leaking but that didnt solve the problem. any thoughts?

Sponsored Links

03-28-04, 02:15 PM   #2  
Look down at the top of the transmission and locate a multiple wire (4, I think) square plug and unplug it. Then go drive the car. If it fixes the problem, just leave it off. You won't have overdrive anymore but it will fix the problem. The torgue coverter lockup is not releasing.

03-28-04, 02:20 PM   #3  
Sounds fuel related to me.

I'd suggest starting with a check of the fuel pressure - both static (key on , engine off) to see if it's holding pressure and under actual driving conditions so you can see what is happening when the problem occurs..

Hook up a fuel pressure guage and duct tape it to the side of the windshiled and have an asssitant check the pressure while you're driving.

Other possibilities:

Dirty fuel filter.
Fuel pump starting to fail.
Ignition module.
Ignition coil pack.
Crank sensor.

Matt

Search this Thread