oil filter question

Old 03-28-04, 01:30 PM
Wink oil filter question

I 've just heard a new one.I've been using fram oil filters for years and i heard that some oil filters have a valve type thing in the bottom to help create oil pressure and some don't .I have heard some of the ones that supposedly don't. Is there any truth to this.This person said the little valve was shown to him and he couldn't believe it. The fram 3600 did not have one and the motorcraft fl400a did. also there was suppose to be a fram that did have one and ohers that did also. any remarks would be appreciatted. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-04, 02:00 PM
Are you talking about the anti-drainback system?

Here's an oil filter study I found doing a google search.

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Matt

Old 03-28-04, 07:31 PM
That comparison is not the first place I have seen thet Fram filters are very poor quality. I would not use a Fram if you gave it to me.

Some of the best oil filters you can buy are Mobil 1, K&N, and AC Delco Ultraguard. The Ultraguard was made by Champion but AC has changed suppliers and I have seen no tests on nor do I know who the new supplier is. These filters are not easy to find and may not be available for a lot of engines. They are available for late model 5.7 liter corvette, camaro & firebird. Many auto stores and GM dealers do not know the Ultraguard exists ??? These 3 filters are expensive though usually $9 to $15 each. If you have a high performance engine or just want the best these are the filters for you.

For the average car some of the others are good filters.

Old 03-29-04, 09:27 PM
Hey, if it's on the internet, it must be true!
lol!
Yes, the quality (and price) of the "basic" name brand filter has gone down
Like the quality (and price) of a t-shirt from wal*mart
But still, $-4-$,...the Fram is not crap!
Yes you can buy a sub $2 Fram filter from W*M
Is it as good as a $9 filter from K&N?
No Way!
Are Mobil1 and K&N Better?
Yes Way!
Are they more $?
You Bet!!!
You...make the call

Old 03-29-04, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by slickshift
Hey, if it's on the internet, it must be true!
lol!
Yes, the quality (and price) of the "basic" name brand filter has gone down
Like the quality (and price) of a t-shirt from wal*mart
But still, $-4-$,...the Fram is not crap!
Yes you can buy a sub $2 Fram filter from W*M
Is it as good as a $9 filter from K&N?
No Way!
Are Mobil1 and K&N Better?
Yes Way!
Are they more $?
You Bet!!!
You...make the call
More than one independent and un-related tests have shown Fram oil filters to be of inferior quality.

Enjoy your Fram oil filters if you like?

My call is no Fram oil filters for me.

Old 03-31-04, 12:10 AM
carlosryan
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I would have to concur. If you want to save money and not sacrifice quality you'd be best with a/c delco. The extra buck or two it costs for the WIX is cool with me. Some guys really like to go the extra mile and order the K&N for even more $$. It's all about how much is it worth to you. Don't for get the full synthetic while you're at it. To save get the five quart jug.

Old 03-31-04, 01:24 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
many dealers will sell oil filters for in the $5-8 range. it better be a good filter with the price of today's engines, they wouldn't sell a cheap quality one with them watching warranty costs like they do. (and they watch it very close) sometimes you can even ask for a 'wholesale' or a 'cash' discount and get it for under $5. what's $2-4 on a filter when an engine can cost you over $4-6000?

i do know this, if you own a cummins diesel, and your engine fails, and they find a fram filter, or evidence of the filter(breaking down) inside your engine....no more warranty! they used neoprene inside the filter and when it breaks down, it clogs the oil jets and not long after that you will have about a $9000 bill.

i don't know if they still have those type filters, but i know for a fact they did very recently.

Old 04-04-04, 12:12 AM
Mea Culpa

Wow...
After being trained by my dad inthe 70's
(Castrol GTX and Frams)
It's hard to break habits
I still stick w/GTX even though I know FedRegs dictate quality
(All brands are pretty much the same now)
(Mobil 1 for the finer things...)
But this Fram thing...Whew...
I have been poking around a bit and...well...
I have a pile of Frams for anyone that wants them...
Pontiac Firebird 2.8...Plymouth Gran Fury 318...Vete, (That's CHEVete)...AMC Jeep...Chrysler Jeep...Nissan Altima...Toyota Pickup (22R)...'72 Olds 350...'93 Olds 3.8...Izuzu Rodeo...Cougar, Malibu, (the new ones), Ford's 300 (straight 6) and 5.0...
I 'm not up into the attic yet...

Old 04-04-04, 12:52 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
time for a garage sale, or maybe even e-bay. i used to buy frams all the time too, not anymore. i even buy VW filters from the dealer now too, [email protected]$20.

in case anyone didn't believe me, i found this:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/09-004-01.htm

Old 04-04-04, 05:22 AM
Gm also has engines gas and diesel that use oil jets to cool the pistons and an A/C delco filter would be the one Iwould use to maintain warranty.They can't argue if you use the recommended filter and oil.

Search this Thread