engine service light

Old 03-29-04, 01:09 PM
dgizankis
Visiting Guest
engine service light

Hi, my engine service light has been on for a while and i took it into auto zone and they told me that my trouble code is obdII and trouble shooting is p0174 and p0171. they also said that my bank on cylinder 1 and 2 were too lean. I have a honda passport 1998 4wd. And i have no clue what any of this means. My car also revs every time that you turn on the engine, occasionally the car will stall. I do not know if any of this has to do with the check engin light, but i am severly confused and i would appreciate it greatly if you could help. thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-04, 03:39 PM
It sounds like you may have a pretty bad vacuum leak. Check it very closely listening for the hissing sound and follow it.

Old 03-29-04, 06:06 PM
Could also be a lean condition caused by fuel starvation due to a restricted fuel filter or failing fuel pump.

How many miles on the odometer?

Whatever you do, don't let anyone replace the O2 sensors until you find the root cause of the lean condition.

Old 03-29-04, 06:24 PM
dgizankis
Visiting Guest
thank you very much. the car has definatly been run, it has 98,000 miles on it. i guess i will just take it in and have them take a look at it. thank you guys.

Old 03-29-04, 11:46 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
if you peel the stickers off your honda, you will see that you are really driving an isuzu rodeo. what you have is a common problem, the plastic intake manifold gaskets have cracked, allowing too much air into the engine and the 'lean' codes.

it's a very simple job to replace them. if you are a 'dealer' person, an isuzu dealer is better than a honda dealer. if you are not a 'dealer' person, anyone in the aftermarket should be able to replace them without too much trouble, and don't spend more than 2.0 to 2.5 hours of labor maximum. the parts are about $21 (X2) = $42 over the counter at the dealer. (yes, i've done quite a few) the intake manifold only has to be propped up slightly, not removed completly from the vehicle.

let us know how it goes.

Old 03-30-04, 05:27 AM
I believe Mike hit it on the head, that is one of the very common problems with that vehicle, and you've got the symptoms. My wife has a 2000 Rodeo, in the last year all the common problems (EGR valve, fuel level sending unit etc) have popped up except the intake gasket, I'm hoping it goes before the powertrain warranty expires in 2005. Here is a link to some great info on the Rodeos and Passports, which are rebadged Rodeos.

http://geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm

Old 03-30-04, 07:02 AM
dgizankis
Visiting Guest
wow you guys are so awesome. thank you for all the help. i just moved from my home in pa out to ill and i don't know of trust anyone from out here yet so now that i know about what the problem is, i have so ammo to get them with. Thank you again!!!

Old 03-31-04, 12:23 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
davejb, i believe your 10 year/120,000 mile warranty would cover the gaskets, 2000 was the first year of that warranty offer.

Old 03-31-04, 05:01 AM
We're the second owners, only get a 5 year 60k warranty.