1986 honda civic dx shifting problems...

Old 03-29-04, 02:48 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1986 honda civic dx shifting problems...

this morning i can not shift into any gears. The clutch seems to have good "resistence" to it. However, i must jam it into gear when driving. When in neutral, and the car is running, i push the clutch in and can not shift. The car starts to roll i bit like it is trying to get into gear but it wont. Then when i do get it in gear and am driving, i push the clutch in and right when i start to push the clutch in it starts to rev like it is in neutral like it is suppose to. Not sure why this is happening. I just replaced the slave cylinder on my truck because i could not shift it, but there was zero resistence when pushing the clutch. Symptoms are different. Any ideas of what could be going on here??? Thanks....
need her back on the road....
i think that this vehicle has a mechanical clutch and not hydraulic.

Old 03-29-04, 04:44 PM
S
First things first.

Check the oil level in the trans and get back to us with the results.

Matt

Old 03-29-04, 06:20 PM
S
i will do that. ASAP. Likely will have to wait til tomorrow. Raining out. Gosh that would be sweet if it was just low...
will post tomorrow...
thanks

Old 03-31-04, 05:14 PM
S
ok. looks like the fluid level is OK.
I then looked and yes it is mechanical clutch. Found the adjuster and have turned it both ways. No go. Still sjifts poorly. I readjusted it so that there is some play in the pedal. I finally took it to a mechanic and he quickly diagnosed it as a bad clutch. But he backed it up and forward and said that the clutch does not seem to be slipping. We screwed with the adjuster and still nothing. When the vehicle is off, and in gear, if you push the ckutch in, the car still does not roll. Its like still in gear. The mechanic said something is definatley wrong. Cant tell until you "rip" into it.....
Now what do i do? Car is not even worth that much. Maybe put it on the selling blocks for cheap...

Old 03-31-04, 07:26 PM
S
I'm sure the blue book is pretty low on the car, but what does he want to replace the clutch? It's got to be cheaper than car payments.

On the other hand, if the rest of the car is on its last legs and you need reliable transportation, you may have to buy newer.

I say newer instead of new because the initial depreciation is so high.

Next newer car I buy will most likely be from Hertz Car Sales or someone like that. Been watching their 2 year old 626s that they want about 9K for.

Good luck,

Matt

Old 03-31-04, 11:19 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
sounds like you might have either a bent clutch disc, or very rusty splines on the input shaft. either one won't allow the disc to move freely and give you what you describe.

the labor can't be that high on something this little, i rememeber doing one and it didn't take me that long.

like smogtek and others have said before, don't look at the price of the car, look at the price of reliable transportation. will it remain reliable after this fix , or is it the tip of the iceberg in terms of repairs to come. no one can see the other half of the iceberg(underwater). have you maintained it well, might just be worth fixing.

Old 04-01-04, 04:24 AM
S
thanks for the input guys. May try to contact local college to see if they want to take a crack at it. I do need reliable transportation as i commute 40 miles one way. Need something that gets good MPG. My truck DOES NOT. May look at a newer honda. May get another mechanic to look at it. I have not owned the car for even a year but bought it for $450 and put 15,000 miles on it. May try to get rid of it seeing it has a few legs left to stand on. Thanks again...
mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: