Lube a chassis

Old 03-30-04, 06:14 AM
pipkin9
Visiting Guest
Lube a chassis

I'm changing the oil in my GMC Sonoma and Oldsmobile Alero for the first time. I noticed that when I got the oil changed at Jiffy Lube they would lube the chassis. Is this something I need to do? How do I do it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-04, 09:09 AM
you should...

...altho what you will find is variation betwen the two vehicles as far as how many and where the locations are.

a chassis lubrication is basically greasing all of the greasable points that you can. tie rod ends, ball joints, steering linkage and drive shaft (if your truck is 4WD) all may or may not have grease fittings. the only way to know is to look at them. if you don't know what or where they are, have someone find them and show them all to you. then go buy yourself a grease gun and go for it...one or two pumps is all it takes.

Old 03-30-04, 10:20 AM
Hence the name Lube, oil and filter

Old 03-30-04, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Warn
Hence the name Lube, oil and filter
You may be lucky to get your chassis greased at the quick lube joints. So many cars now do not have grease fittings I think the kids that work there get in the habit of not greasing as I have seen many cars with fittings that were not being greased when the owner takes the car in for an oil change even though they are supposed to be greasing the fittings.

Old 03-31-04, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by car nut

You may be lucky to get your chassis greased at the quick lube joints. So many cars now do not have grease fittings I think the kids that work there get in the habit of not greasing as I have seen many cars with fittings that were not being greased when the owner takes the car in for an oil change even though they are supposed to be greasing the fittings.
You are right but at least get the guys to lube the doors