97 Tacoma, miss fireing and TPS

Old 03-30-04, 04:38 PM
Kevin719
Visiting Guest
Question 97 Tacoma, miss fireing and TPS

My girlfriends 4cyl 4x4 Toyota Tacoma has had the check eng light on and missfires under heavy accaleration, Took it to have the faults checked and it showed most of the faults were #4 cyl missfire and Throttle pos sensor fault. Would the TPS cause the missfire or could that be some thing else. How hard is it to change the TPS. Is it that sensor at the top of the throttle body, if it is, it looks easy enough to change.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-04, 04:49 PM
Stay away from the TPS. It has very fine adjustments and you need a digital multimeter along with the specs for proper operation.

When was the last time you had a tune up? Finding a misfire on one cylinder is very easy to do.

Old 03-30-04, 04:54 PM
Kevin719
Visiting Guest
Ok i'll stay away from the tps. I'm not sure when the last tune up was done. I thought that was unusual to have a missfire on just the one cyl. I was kinda leaning to changing the wires, but it's my girlfriends and it prob hasn't seen a tune up in a long time so thats probably needed.

Old 03-30-04, 04:59 PM
On the contrary......a misfire on one cylinder is very common.

If it was my truck I would change the plugs and wires. If it is still there then it has bigger problems you have to hunt down

Old 03-30-04, 05:15 PM
Kevin719
Visiting Guest
OK, thanks. i'll change out plugs and wires, and hope that takes care of it.

Old 03-30-04, 05:16 PM
Tps is a common failure on those. Wears out at the postion you drive the most. Very easy to change and no adjustment needed.

Has no wires...coil packs

How many miles?

Old 03-30-04, 05:31 PM
Kevin719
Visiting Guest
Has about 99,000 miles. Would the tps cause the check eng light to come on or could that also be caused by the need for a tune up. This kina sounds like a dumb question, but is the tps that sensor oposite the throttle on the throttle body.

Old 03-30-04, 05:58 PM
Misfire and tps can cause the light.

Change plugs and filters and have the codes cleared.

If the tps code comes back and you get a quick jerk on cruise or steady accel replace it.

Old 03-30-04, 06:21 PM
Kevin719
Visiting Guest
Ok, thanks for the help.