Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

part2 oil pressure light

03-30-04, 06:13 PM   #1  
part2 oil pressure light

this is a follow up question on previous thread oil pressure light come i borrow a oil pressure guage but the instruction doesn't have the psi for my car. a 2000 dodge intriped es 2.7 lt eng 6cyc,
and 64500 mi. first does anyone know psi for this car and where is low oil pressure switch located
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-31-04, 12:55 AM   #2  
mike from nj
here is a copy of the factory service manual:
CHECKING ENGINE OIL PRESSURE
1. Remove oil pressure sending unit and install gauge assembly C-3292.

2. Run engine until thermostat opens

CAUTION: If oil pressure is 0 at idle, Do Not Run engine at 3000 RPM

3. Oil Pressure: Curb Idle 25 kPa (4 psi) minimum, 3000 RPM 170/550 kPa (25/80 psi)

4. If oil pressure is 0 at idle. Shut off engine, check for pressure relief valve stuck open or a clogged oil pickup screen.

the oil pressure sensor is under the passenger exhaust manifold towards the rear, it's a bit easier to get to from the bottom.

before you go replacing parts, have the dealer print you a copy of:

TSB NO: 08-36-99
SUBJECT: Engine Oil Pressure Light Flicker
DATE: Oct. 15, 1999
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves adding a terminal/wire/vent to the oil pressure switch connector.

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.7L ENGINE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
With a hot engine the oil pressure light may be on or flicker on at idle.

DIAGNOSIS:
Verify engine oil pressure as described on page 9-21 of the 1999 Concorde/Intrepid/LHS/300M service manual (Publication No. 81-270-9140). If engine oil pressure is within specification perform the Repair Procedure.

i don't understand how this works, but it just does. it will fix a flickering oil light at idle, provided the engine has sufficient oil pressure.

let us know what you find

03-31-04, 05:15 AM   #3  
thanks, mike for info but have another question where is oil pressure sending unit located at also

Visiting Guest

03-31-04, 10:21 PM   #4  
mike from nj
sorry, the answer was tucked in the middle of that rather long post.

it's under the passenger side exhaust manifold, toward the rear. you can feel it from the top, but get at it much easier from the bottom. you will probably need an adapter to get the gauge into the block, the threads are pretty big, like 1/2 inch in diameter.

if i'm not mistaken, the sender comes out with a 1-1/16", deep, six point socket.

Search this Thread