Ceramic brakes

Old 03-31-04, 01:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ceramic brakes

Anyone using ceramic brakes on a vehicle that wasn't originally equipped with them? Have you noticed any differences?

I just installed ceramic brakes on my truck, and after driving it for years with conventional semi-metallic brakes, I noticed a difference immediately. It seems to have a much shorter braking distance, it brakes harder without locking down the wheels as easily, it doesn't seem to lose braking capability as the brakes get hot.

I wonder how the noise will be (if they will squeal in time). I understand that rotor wear is actually less, and brake pad life is increased with ceramic brakes too. So far I'm impressed.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-04, 03:18 AM
my 2 cents

I dont have ceramic brakes but I can tell you that the state of the art Boeing 777 uses them they must be good if they are used on a jumbo jet as big as the 777.
From what I have been told they stop lots better no fade last longer etc.

Old 03-31-04, 03:41 AM
I install them quite often and have had very good luck with them. No noise complaints at all yet.

Old 04-01-04, 08:04 AM
Thumbs up

This was a good thread to read. I have a 98 Venture that I put semi mettalic pads on 1.5 yrs ago and they squeal like crazy. I was curious about the ceramic ones reliabilty and durability. Hopefully more post hit this thread. Thanks for the start Cheese.

Regards,

Doug

Old 04-01-04, 02:56 PM
big bucks

I can not confirm this but I have been told they are big dollars more for guys with high performance cars like exotics.a few thousand dollars for the setup.

Old 04-01-04, 05:04 PM
Re: big bucks

Originally posted by michael van
I can not confirm this but I have been told they are big dollars more for guys with high performance cars like exotics.a few thousand dollars for the setup.
Not at all. They cost less than some premium name brand pads already out there. My cost usually $30 - $50

Old 04-02-04, 01:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mine were $36 if I remember right. I'm told that all, or most all new vehicles are being equipped with them from the factory. I'm glad you haven't had any noise complaints Desi501. That, and rotor life, were my two concerns. They claim that the dust is less, lighter in color, and does not stick to the wheels too. Sounds like nothing but checkmarks in the pros column, and nothing in the cons...so far.

Old 04-02-04, 05:49 AM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
So these brake pads are made by what company and do they make brake shoes also?
I have a 1996 Chevy K1500 W/T pickup and may need brakes soon, just wondering if this may be a good alternative.

Old 04-02-04, 03:54 PM
Pads only and they are sold by all the major brake suppliers Raybestos, Wagner etc.

Search this Thread