Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

96 intreped head gasket

Visiting Guest

03-31-04, 06:36 AM   #1  
scrapiron
96 intreped head gasket

My 96 dodge intreped 3.5 (145,000 mi.) has a slow coolant leak at the head gasket. About 1/2 gallon every two weeks. Can anyone give me a guess on hours required to fix and what it may cost. I'm not looking for an exact quote, just a rough idea of whether the car is worth fixing. Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

03-31-04, 02:55 PM   #2  
Round numbers (and I'm really reaching here), probably around $1k but could go higher due to replacing any "while you're at it" type of parts. You'll need to do both banks and it'll be a good idea to send the heads to a good machine shop to be checked. If you're going to fix it, the longer you wait, the more potential harm you can do the general well-being of the engine.

Visiting Guest

03-31-04, 10:49 PM   #3  
mike from nj
i'm trying to think of a 3.5L with a leaking headgasket, and i can't remember any. maybe once.

way more common (way, way) is the water pump, followed by the o-rings between the timing belt housing and the front of the engine block(further behind the water pump area).

a pressure tester and a bright light are the best way to find the leaks.

let us know.

Search this Thread