Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help!Automatic 92 Geo Prizm grinds in reverse.

Visiting Guest

04-01-04, 06:19 AM   #1  
dianamm74
Help!Automatic 92 Geo Prizm grinds in reverse.

Hi everyone...

I'm facing some awful problems with my 1992 Geo Prizm/LSI 1.6L engine. Here's the story. In December, my car shifted down real hard as I was driving on a flat level road. As I approached a slightly slanted hill, my car would barely pull it. It felt like the motor was winding up real tight. I had to make a stop and when I put the car in drive to try to make it home, it wouldn't do anything. It was like it was in neutral. So, I shifted it down to 2nd gear and it moved some and proceeded to shift it to 1st and then to drive and finally made it home. I got home and checked my transmission fluid and it read full. Before I made an hour trip in January, I checked my transmission fluid and once again it was okay. After driving for an hour, my car jerked a few times and then my front drivers side wheel locked up. It took me forever to get the car off the road. It would pull, but it would jerk real bad. It did this in reverse too. After getting my car towed home, I had someone to look at it and this particular person said there was no transmission fluid in the back of the transmission where the shifting gears are. He put the fluid in it for me but the car still didn't sound right. As I was driving it, I could hear a loud whistling, winding sound. I couldn't tell if it was coming from the transmission, engine or front wheel. So just to be on the safe side, I searched on the internet and learned how to change my axle. So, I did that and as I took it for a test drive, I could still hear a loud winding sound and I could still feel some jerking in the front wheel. I barely lost transmission fluid when I took the old axle out. I put the new axle in as quick as I could so I wouldn't lose alot of transmission fluid. I was in the process of putting new wheel bearings in to see if that would help. When I got in my car yesterday to move it, I put it in reverse and it grinded real loud so I automatically put it in drive to see what it would do and it pulled fine. Since it pulled okay in drive, I tried reverse again but it still grinded real loud. I have had this car for 6 years and I have never had any problems with the transmission. I have had to put new brake pads on it everytime I turn around, a new radiator, a rebuilt starter, a new alternator, new exhaust and the axles go bad alot but never problems with the transmission. If anyone has any advice or suggestions as to what might be the problem, I will be so greatly thankful. Thank you in advance. Have a good day.

Sponsored Links

VA

04-01-04, 07:19 AM   #2  
you need to have a pro...

...look at it. preferably a transmission shop that deals with asian transmissions. that trans has two places to put in fluid, i believe. regualr ATF for the automatic transmission section and gear oil for the final drive. something ugly has happened it appears and if you keep trying to drive it and hope for a miracle, it's going to be beyond repair without complete replacement...in fact...you may already be there. loud noises, locking up and jerking are bad things...really bad in an automatic. wait for toyotamans opinion...he's the toyota expert in the forum and that prism is a corolla...best of luck to you

04-01-04, 05:16 PM   #3  
Car guy kinda sumed it up, the diff ran out of fluid and the trans axel is wasted.

The least expensive way would be a used unit. They generally hold up well, except if a leak goes untended and you run it dry.

Visiting Guest

04-01-04, 06:25 PM   #4  
dianamm74
Re: you need to have a pro...

Originally posted by carguyinva
...look at it. preferably a transmission shop that deals with asian transmissions. that trans has two places to put in fluid, i believe. regualr ATF for the automatic transmission section and gear oil for the final drive. something ugly has happened it appears and if you keep trying to drive it and hope for a miracle, it's going to be beyond repair without complete replacement...in fact...you may already be there. loud noises, locking up and jerking are bad things...really bad in an automatic. wait for toyotamans opinion...he's the toyota expert in the forum and that prism is a corolla...best of luck to you

Thank you for responding so quick. I was hoping to get out of having to have my transmission rebuilt or having a used one put in. Someone mentioned to me today that it might be the transmission cable. What is that??? I'll have to do my internet studying on that I'm going to enroll in auto mechanics in vocational school next chance I get. LOL The only thing I wonder about now, is after I changed my axle, the wheel didn't completely lock up, it just had a little hesitation to it. The winding sound was still there though. I'm trying my best to tell myself that I don't need a new/used transmission. Thank you for your suggestions and expertise. I'm extremely thankful. Have a good day.

Visiting Guest

04-01-04, 06:36 PM   #5  
dianamm74
Originally posted by toyotaman11769
Car guy kinda sumed it up, the diff ran out of fluid and the trans axel is wasted.

The least expensive way would be a used unit. They generally hold up well, except if a leak goes untended and you run it dry.
Thank you so much for your fast response. It's going to be a while but I'm not giving up on my car. It's been reliable until 5 months ago. Now it's sitting pretty on my car port for my stray cats to sleep under. I'm still going to put my new wheel bearings in it just for my self satisfaction and learning experience and I'm going to go ahead and change my oil. I'll have it running great once I get a new/used transmission back in it. Thank you so much for your knowledge about this. I appreciate it alot! Have a good day.

04-02-04, 12:35 AM   #6  
Someone mentioned to me today that it might be the transmission cable. What is that??? I'll have to do my internet studying on that I'm going to enroll in auto mechanics in vocational school next chance I get.
Its not a cable if this happen

After getting my car towed home, I had someone to look at it and this particular person said there was no transmission fluid in the back of the transmission where the shifting gears are. He put the fluid in it for me but the car still didn't sound right. As I was driving it, I could hear a loud whistling, winding sound.
Putting wheel bearings in is not going to correct no lube in the diff (what you refer to as the rear trans case)

Search this Thread