Help! Truck Won't Move

Old 04-02-04, 08:15 AM
Help! Truck Won't Move

My daughter has a 1991 GMC Sonoma. It has a standard transmission. She has been having trouble with the clutch (I think)for the past few days. When shifting from one gear to another, the motor sounds like its straining. She made an appointment with a shop to have it looked it. The earliest they could take it in is next Wednesdy.Yesterday, she just barely got it into the driveway.The motor sounded so loud while she was trying to park it that I went outside to see what was making so much noise. I was surprised to find out that it was my daughter's truck.It will not move at all. It will not even go into reverse.I don't know much about cars, much less trucks. But I know that when the transmission went out on my car, I could only get it to go into reverse. Do you think the clutch went out? Could it be that the transmission went out? ? Could someone please give me an idea of what they think is wrong? I appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-04, 09:24 AM
Sounds like the clutch is worn, from what you describe and my limited experience. Did you notice any particular odor when trying to engage the clutch with the transmission in gear BEFORE it quit moving? There is a smell associated with burning friction material on the clutch disc. When trying to get into the driveway, was the noise just from the engine running really fast, or was it making a noise other than a normal fast-running sound? Feel, sound and smell will often help identify what's wrong, as well as when they occur. Take note of them when you think about it if you experience a problem. Tell us what you can - Chris M., 28 years shade-tree mechanic ( no, not a pro)

Old 04-02-04, 09:54 AM
Help!Truck Won't Move

CMIL, Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did notice an odor when she was trying to park the truck. It smelled like something burning. Also, the noise I heard was like she was reving (I hope this is spelled right) up the motor. I hope this helps. Again, I appreciate the information. Thanks, Kathy

Old 04-02-04, 11:56 AM
Keep your eyes open for a post from a certified drivetrain tech, Kathy42. But from everything you've described, it sounds like the clutch. It's not a difficult job, but kind of time-consuming (a mechanic could probably do it in one workday), and the parts cost will vary by manufacturer and number of parts needed. If you're going to have a shop do it, I would expect to spend $600 - $800 total. A mechanic friend from church, school or wherever will save you some. A certified mechanic on this forum can probably give you a better estimate on parts and labor; I don't take my vehicles to the shop, so I'm kind of guessing with the labor. Hope this helps; expect more posts, though. - Chris

Old 04-02-04, 12:16 PM
Help!Truck Won't Move

CMil, Thanks for the estimate. I thought it would run around $600.00 or more if a shop did it. My daughter knows a retired mechanic that now works out of his garage. She is going to talk to him about a price on replacing the clutch. It really helped ease her mind just having someone tell her what is wrong. She would like to keep the truck for another two years or so until she finishes school (she has two more years of college to finish) and then buy something newer. With school costs and all, it would be hard for her financially to buy something now. I appreciate the information. Kathy

Old 04-02-04, 12:40 PM
The retired mechanic should also be able to confirm the clutch diagnosis. Let us know how it goes - Chris

Old 04-02-04, 03:44 PM
Sounds like everything you've been told is pretty accurate. It DOES sound like a burnt clutch. The estimate sounds a little on the high side but close. Be sure to replace or at least resurface the flywheel as it sound like it has taken some real abuse in not fixing it sooner. The heat generated by all that slippage will damage the flywheel.

Old 04-02-04, 09:20 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
kathy, seems like a good conclusion has been drawn already, but i have one question. did you check all forward gears, especially fourth gear. long story made short, when a trans comes apart, usually 4th gear is the only one remaining. if you can stall the engine using 4th gear, it's a trans issue and not a clutch one.

not that i think it's a trans problem, but i'm just curious.

Old 04-06-04, 07:53 AM
Help!Truck Won't Move

Just wanted to thank you (Mike, Desi501,CMil) for your help. The truck did seem to shift into all gears but would not move. The mechanic picked it up on Saturday but should not actually look at it until today. He pretty much has the same opinion as everyone here, the clutch went out. He said it should cost around $350.00 to repair. If a new fly wheel is needed, it would raise the cost approximately $100.00. This sounds a little on the low side to me. I will let you know how it turns out. Again, I appreciate the advice. Thanks, Kathy

Old 04-06-04, 02:12 PM
The price on parts his cost will be about $150 so he will make about 200 on labor and it sounds fair to me.A retired fellow makes a little and you save a bunch.Just make sure he is using quality parts not the cheapest he can find.I would have him install a new rear main oil seal while he is in there an extra 20-30 bucks max.

Old 04-06-04, 02:49 PM
Help!Truck Won't Move

Davo, I started to mention in my previous post that he suggested replacing the real seal for an extra $30.00. He said it would save the labor charge because he was sure at some point it would need to be done. I appreciate the advice. Thanks, Kathy

Old 04-06-04, 07:30 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
way to go guys!!!!!!!!!!!! and also to you kathy for explaining your problem down to the T .instead of being well you know like most women lol..

Old 04-07-04, 09:10 AM
Help!Truck Won't Move

CMil, Desi501, Mike from nj,davo and fordman30, Just want to thank you guys again for all your advice. My daughter picked up the truck this morning. It was the clutch. Final cost of replacing it and the rear seal was $400.00. My daughter says it shifts much more smoothly now. Fordman 30, thanks for the compliment. It is sure nice to know that you guys are there to diagnose the problem when something goes wrong. Until next time...Kathy42

Search this Thread