Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

brake lights

Visiting Guest

04-02-04, 07:46 PM   #1  
CATHY121
brake lights

i have a 2000 plymouth breeze and the brake lights won't work
fuses and lamps have been checked

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-02-04, 10:13 PM   #2  
mike from nj
have you checked all the fuses, with a voltmeter. is the brake light fuse even receiving voltage?

cycle the hazzard switch on and off a few times and see if it makes a difference

head down to the brake lamp switch, there should be constant power to the red(with black) wire, and voltage through the switch to the white (with tan) wire when the pedal is pressed.

to remove the switch, grab it and turn it 1/8th turn counterclockwise and it will snap out.

last step is to see if power is getting to any bulbs on that same colored white wire.

i'm guessing it's the brake light switch, but check what i said first.

and always, let us know.

Visiting Guest

04-03-04, 05:32 AM   #3  
CATHY121
thanks for the info. do you have any idea where the brake switch is located on my 2000 plymouth breeze that is what i think the problem is and i need to replace it this weekend.

you can also im me at boysencow through aol instant message

Visiting Guest

04-03-04, 11:46 PM   #4  
mike from nj
i would only replace the brake light switch after i made those voltage measurments.

it's cleverly hidden right above the brake pedal. pull the black access panel down and you will see it.

it needs to be adjusted accurately too, a new switch comes out of the box NOT adjusted.

Visiting Guest

04-04-04, 09:09 AM   #5  
CATHY121
I TOOK MY CAR IN FRIDAY AND ALL THE FUSES WITH CHECKED WITH THE VOLTAGE METER I FOUND THE SWITCH BUT I NEED TO RELEASE THAT AS IF IT WAS A PLUG AND I CAN'T SEEM TO GET IT LOOSE THE PLUG PART ATTACHS TO ALL THE WIRES

Search this Thread